SB Jet's & OMS Slipstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papa Steve

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I made the switch.
I love my SB Jets but, because of their weight, I could never get my trim right with my Ranger. Even with 2/3 of my weight up around my tank valve I was still foot heavy.
I purchased a pair of OMS Slipstreams and I'm good to go. My trim is great and most all of my weight is back down in my ditchable pockets where I prefer it to be.

I found that, though lighter and made from different material, they performed just as well.
I"m guessing SB has some sort of deal with OMS. Except for the material these fins are constructed from, these Slipstreams are identical to the SB Jets. (Forgive me if I'm showing my ignorance by stating the obvious)
I crossed over from XL Jets to XL Slipstreams. They sizing is almost identical. The foot pocket for the Slipstream fin is just a tad bigger. That being said, in preparation for my trip to Bonaire I went wit a new boot to deal with the rough shoreline. A size 10 Oceanic Neo Classic boot makes for a perfect match.

I also switched from Jets to Slipstreams for the same reasons with the same great results. the only difference is that we know the Jets can last 20 or more years and the jury is out on the longetivity of the Slipstreams. Even if they only last 5 years though, it's a small price to pay to have horizontal trim without fin sculling.

I've got my slipstreams on order. Longevity wise, so far the only complaint I have heard is that the monoprene scuffs more easily. I'll keep some plastic grade sandpaper to buff mine so it won't look like my feet are dragging on the bottom.

Do we have anyone using the Slipstreams for technical diving? I heard that because of their lighter weight and neutral buoyancy, they actually lack strength in the kicks as compared to the Jets. Can anyone confirm this? Or is this a myth?

Do we have anyone using the Slipstreams for technical diving? I heard that because of their lighter weight and neutral buoyancy, they actually lack strength in the kicks as compared to the Jets. Can anyone confirm this? Or is this a myth?
Just after purchase I took both pair in the pool, swam with the Jets, then immediately put on slipstreams and swam a few laps. I could not tell any difference.
I took them out diving a week ago and could not tell any difference (with all gear on). Even if I had lost a little power I think I would more than make up for it with the effeciencies that come with better trim. . . at least in my situation.

I am looking at getting a pair of traditional paddle fins. These are the two fins I have settled on. If anyone could talk to the strength of the OMS Slipstreams, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I switched from Jets to Slips because they fit my Bare Trek boots perfectly. The XXL jets were too sloppy. So far I like them and have just started tech diving and have no issues as of yet. Not quite sure if being neutral versus being heavy in the foot with the jets makes too much of a difference at this point. I suppose I could throw on the jets and make a comparison after having dived the OMS for awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom