Saw unusual fish/lizard - need help identifying it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw unusual fish/lizard - need help identifying it!

It was about a foot and half long (appx 18-20" long) and it moved like a fish... but had four legs!!!!

When I saw it resting on the sand under a pipeline, i approached it and touched it, thinking it was a lizard. It moved exactly like a fish! it had fins and mouth like a fish, but had 4 legs.

I know I am not hallculating of narcosis since it was 15 feet deep and my buddy also saw it :eyebrow:

This happened at a finger lake in New York (freshwater). Can anyone answer it?

thanks!

matt

Not one of those chinese snakehead fish?

Any big salamanders in that part of the country? Might have been one halfway through the tadpole stage.

Could it have been a "mud puppy"?

A "mud puppy" is actually, in proper name, a hellbender. It's the largest member of the salamander native to North America. Sounds as if it's at the utmost limit of its northern range.

This lake wasn't next to a nuclear power plant was it? Maybe a relative of blinky?

The Kracken:
A "mud puppy" is actually, in proper name, a hellbender. It's the largest member of the salamander native to North America. Sounds as if it's at the utmost limit of its northern range.

That all depends on what part of the country you're in. Mud puppy is kind of a generic term used for salamander in most parts of the country. Thank God we don't have those hellbenders here.....ugly critters...

By the way, a hellbender can bite the fool out of ye...
Rick

Yes, they can! I learned that at a very early age.

Back
Top Bottom