Saw this off of Florida...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rajgrover

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could someone ID this fish for me.. I thought it was a scorpionfish of some sort. Off the East Coast of Florida, near Fort Lauderdale.

Attachments

• FL-fish.JPG
    FL-fish.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 118
I think it's a sea robin, with it's belly buried in the sand.

Wow - check out this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/name-critter/294216-id-fish-lbts.html

I saw one of those snorkeling south of the pier in Lauderdale by the Sea on June 28, in about 15 feet of water. Where did you see yours? My pictures look exactly the same as yours.

Based on my research and the other people in the thread, we think it is a Bighead Sea Robin
- Prionotus tribulus. That particular sea robin is not listed in the Reef Fish book and is not commonly seen in our area. I wonder if we saw the exact same fish!

I agree Prionotus tribulus, this one shows more of the typical dark pigmentation, Trig I have still never seen one that was as lightly pigmented as yours.

Blah, Blah, Blah.....

But do they taste good?? :eyebrow:

But seriously, I have done a lot of beach dives down here in Broward over the years and have never seen a Sea Robin that looked quite like this one.

Thanks for the post.
I really am an amateur junior fish junkie.
I will be on the lookout.
I typically dive the very north end of LBTS city limits in condo country.
I shall be on the lookout, and will report back if I see something, or manage to get a picture.
:wink:
Thanks again.

Chug

Back
Top Bottom