Saw my first Six Gill!! ... or did I??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it had a "sharky" profile I don't think it was a 6 gill. Probably a big dogfish shark or a soupfin shark.

If you see the 6-gill shark from the front, it might get misidentified as a nurse, but it doesn't have the 2 whiskers/fangs. The tell-tale sign is that tail, since counting 6 gills is kinda tough with it moving. It's got a smooth top with a recessed fin in the rear. The tail is about 1/3 it's body and appears like a wolfeel's tail connected to the rest of the body and sways back and forth. I've got some video footage of one at Redondo @80 ft and have seen them in 90-100' around Cove 2.

Sincerely,
H2

gcbryan:
Rick, what time of day was it and was the large tail the most distinctive aspect to what you saw?

Unless it was deep and at least dark my guess would be a large dogfish. However sixgills are sighted in Hood Canal but usually at night or at least deep enough to be fairly dark.

I have heard of 6 gills in Hoods canal. And depending on the time of the year you can see them in shallow water. Not a lot is really know about 6gills. They are usually found in seriously deep water but in summer they come into puget sound for feeding or mating. There have been sightings off alki also. In fact the aquarium has some under water cameras down there some where that you can view.
Spot in Bc does 6gill dives in the late summer also to see some...........

Krusty:
I have heard of 6 gills in Hoods canal. And depending on the time of the year you can see them in shallow water. Not a lot is really know about 6gills. They are usually found in seriously deep water but in summer they come into puget sound for feeding or mating. There have been sightings off alki also. In fact the aquarium has some under water cameras down there some where that you can view.
Spot in Bc does 6gill dives in the late summer also to see some...........

Fascinating!

I just spent the past weekend at Sund Rock and after talking with Mike at Hoodsport and dive there has been a 6 foot six gill sited on the south wall. It came in about 3 weeks ago and is still around. The last siting was Thursday during the day. Visability doesnt open up until 45'.

CustomTech:
I just spent the past weekend at Sund Rock and after talking with Mike at Hoodsport and dive there has been a 6 foot six gill sited on the south wall. It came in about 3 weeks ago and is still around. The last siting was Thursday during the day. Visability doesnt open up until 45'.
Ah HA! Great! Confirmation is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom