Saw 1st Shark Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
1st for my wife, that is :wink:

We dropped on the Strength, and worked around it until we came to a break in the side. Presto! There's a nice little nurse shark's head, just laying there. So I got her attention & pointed it out. We were only about 3 feet from it, got a real good look. It was 4 to 5 ft long.

Kinda nice for her 1st encounter to be with one of the safer species. People she works with have given her crap about getting eaten by a shark (she just tells them that they'll eat me, since I'm the one spearing), and now she finally gets to tell them she saw one & lived to tell about it, LOL.

Congrats! It is amazing isn't it... The first time I saw one was near a wreck in Oahu.

Yeah, mostly I see bulls around here. This is the 1st nurse here so far for me. I'm sure she'll see one of those soon enough, but it's nice to ease into this.

You must not have been in Florida, or she would have gotten bitten :).

It's cool that her first shark encounter was so positive.

Would you consider the gray reef an ok shark for a first timer's shark dive?

My first shark was a leopard shark. It came from the top of the wall and just glided down in front of us. I felt so clumsy after watching how gracefully it moved.

Just curious if you'd seem that huge Bull that hangs out around the Strength and the Bart? My wife and I did. It swam by at some 8 to 10 feet away. Wow! What an amazing creature.

Those who dive those wrecks frequently say he's 8 or 9 feet long and will bump you. He'll also come after your fishes. You have to be a lot braver than I am to spearfish in those waters so more power to you.

I thought he/she was closer to 20 feet long and 12 feet in girth.

They say it hears the spear guns and comes a running.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom