Saving the air from your BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......I'm certain that everyone can agree that what ever increases our time underwater we would be for...just throwing it out there

Rebreather will that that very nicely except for the $$$$$$$$$$

I will offer that having your weighting spot on will go far more to increase your dive time
As will learning to slow down. Less motion means less energy expended. This means less CO2 generated, so less need to breathe to eliminate the CO2.

Weighting in itself is not as important as being neutrally buoyant, such that one can stop finning at anytime and stay at the same depth. One can do this whether you have weighting correct, or if you are a bit overweighted. In addition to reducing the energy required to dive, not having to continuously fin to keep from descending also leads to a more peaceful, calm dive, which also lowers air consumption.

Being a bit overweighted just means that you need more air in the BCD to stay neutrally buoyant and that you will have to adjust more with depth. Another way to look at it is that diving overweighted is much like diving with thicker neoprene as far as your need to adjust buoyancy with depth changes.

I had (unknown to me) 2 extra lbs and even that modest amount made a noticeable difference all through the dive .. my buoyancy seamed way too touchy, kept having to fiddle with it.
I was releaved to find it wasn't my imagination when I emptyed my weights and found those 2 missing 1lb'ers

At depth-say 60 metre-the saving in air is even greater. It may take an agonizingly long time on the power inflator button to regain buoyancy; but only one breath on the oral inflator is needed. The air in the lungs is always at ambient.

Back
Top Bottom