Saving Myself from my Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My husband and I just returned from spending the holiday in Cancun. This was an unplanned, last minute trip. We were both supposed to have our gear serviced back in September, but as we did not plan on doing any more diving this year, we decided to put it off until next year. When the trip came up, we decided to dive with our own gear even though it had not been serviced. MY mistake and I completely own up to it.

First dive day we decided to do a couple of easy reef dives...30' max depth with zero current to give ourselves a chance to get weighted properly, test out the gear, etc. Once we got on the boat, a single diver began asking if anyone was DIR certified. No one on the boat was. My husband offered up the fact that I was a divemaster (bless his heart...NOT) and, since no one else on the boat held a similar certification level, our single diver decided that we should be buddies. I explained that my husband and I were buddies, but after listening to him for 10 minutes I finally relented and offered to dive as a three person buddy team. This was still unacceptable so I finally agreed to be his buddy. Mistake #2...never pick up an insta-buddy if you already have a buddy traveling with you, even if his certification level indicates that he would be a good one.

We geared up, went through our pre-dive buddy check. My new buddy was very thorough and asked alot of questions about my gear set-up. I am not a tech diver, but my regulator is on a 5 foot hose. The hose comes up under my arm and I have a swivel which allows the reg to sit in my mouth without the normal sideways pull you get with a normal gear setup. Again, not a tech diver...just personal preference.

We enter the water and start the dive. At about a depth of 20 feet, the O-Ring in the swivel blows and my reg starts free flowing out of the swivel. At this point, not a big deal. I have 3,000 psi in my tank, I can still breathe off the reg with no problem and I am only 20' down. Game plan is to signal to my buddy to buddy up with my husband, signal to the DM that I am returning to the boat, surface, turn off my tank and return to the boat which is still directly above me.

Unfortunately, my buddy has other ideas. Just as I start to look for him, my regulator is ripped out of my mouth...on an inhale. I go from calmly looking around for my buddy to sucking in a lungful of saltwater and immediately start choking. Next thing I know, my buddy has shoved another reg in my mouth so forcefully that I originally thought the guy had broken one of my teeth. He grabs my BC, pulls the rip cord to dump my weights (I have a Zeagle Ranger) and starts hauling me to the surface at a rate which my computer did not like at all judging by all the beeping that was going on. Once we break the surface, he grabs my inflator hose and blows me up like a baloon, even though there was no chance of me sinking without weights.

At this point I'm on the surface, my reg is still free flowing because the tank had not been turned off yet, I'm trying like hell to stop coughing and this guy is hauling me back to the boat. I finally get back to the boat and spent the rest of my surface time (I actually was able to make the second dive...wasn't a bad o-ring just that the screw on the swivel wasn't tightened down) listening to this guy tell everyone how he had saved my life.

Lessons learned...

1.) ALWAYS service your gear on time
2.) NEVER give up a buddy to dive with someone you don't know
3.) A better trained diver does not make a better diver

He never showed a certification card nor did he mention anything about where/when he was certified. He was just asking if anyone on the boat was DIR certified.

Wow! What a story!

You left out whether or not you talked to the buddy about the incident and pointed out his actions and how better to do it in the future.

Also, you say you did the 2nd dive. Was he a third on that dive?

He never showed a certification card nor did he mention anything about where/when he was certified. He was just asking if anyone on the boat was DIR certified.

Sounds like another poser with enough knowledge and gear to be dangerous. Sorry you had to deal with him, but at least you learned something that should prevent a repeat.

At about a depth of 20 feet, the O-Ring in the swivel blows ...

Obviously he wasn't DIR or he never would have dived with someone with that failure point.

:D

Sounds like another poser with enough knowledge and gear to be dangerous. Sorry you had to deal with him, but at least you learned something that should prevent a repeat.

Actually, this is an excellent point and one I had not even considered. Even though I am a DM, I never show my DM card when I am on vacation and usually don't even mention it to anyone. As far as everyone on the boat knows I'm just another open water diver. It never even occurred to me that someone would "invent" a certification for themselves, although in this particular instance, the possibility definitely seems plausible. Thanks for the input. I'll add another lesson learned...4.) Don't believe everything you hear.

Maybe he meant CPR certified?

Wow! What a story!

You left out whether or not you talked to the buddy about the incident and pointed out his actions and how better to do it in the future.

Also, you say you did the 2nd dive. Was he a third on that dive?

I also left out the part about my husband trying to punch his lights out when he found out what happened.:D Seriously, I did try to talk to the guy, but he was thoroughly convinced that I was in a great deal of trouble and that his actions were not only warranted, but most likely saved my life. Not only that, but he also seemed more interested in letting everyone else on the boat know how heroic he was than in hearing about how things may have been done differently. Eventually I gave up trying and spent the rest of my time fixing my gear...which is what I should have done before I ever got on the plane:dork2: (that's me by the way)

As for the second dive...went off without a hitch and my insta-buddy was not welcome as a third. He ended up buddying with the DM from the dive operation. Besides, at that point, I was no longer qualified to be his buddy..thank god.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom