Saving Myself from my Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reminds me of something GI3 wrote long ago about "people" pretending to be squared away, and why they are so dangerous.

OMG. I admire your restraint. Once we were on the surface I would have ripped him a new one.

So repeat after me, NO. That's all you have to say, you had your husband as your buddy, no need to worry about some smuck without a buddy. It's not your job to find him a buddy, you're on vacation. But you do need to seriously talk to your husband about keeping his mouth shut. Again, the word is NO. Say it with conviction.

For me, I would never let my lovely bride dive alone with a insta-buddy. Period. But you already know why. I am sorry you were put through that grief to learn that lesson. I doubt, as a husband, I would have been able to restrain myself had I witnessed that happening to my wife.

Poser divers are the most dangerous. Give me a brand new, freshly minted PADI OW student any day, but a poser, no thanks.

Beware anyone who publicly declares "I am a rescue diver/DM/DIR diver" without being asked.

BTW, pretty much anyone can take DIR training, but that doesn't make them DIR.

One point. The problem with your regulator was not lack of tech service. I check all of my connections periodically. That kind of check should be done most throoughly by every diver right after a service.

You did good until help arrived.

What did your husband think of the whole mess?

He was actually unaware of the whole situation until he was back on the boat after the dive (as was everyone else). He was buddied up with someone else and realized about halfway through the dive that I was no longer in the water, but under the circumstances (shallow dive, no current) he had no concerns...he actually thought that the other guy had run out of air before me and we had surfaced. When he got back on the boat and heard the other guy telling his story, he came over and I filled him in. My husband is 6' 5" and weighs about 230lbs. Believe me...I had a hard time restraining him. The one good thing that did come out of all of this is now he realizes why I don't tell people I'm a DM when I'm diving and I don't think he will ever again.

24940:
Beware anyone who publicly declares "I am a rescue diver/DM/DIR diver" without being asked.
My experience is that the ones that loudly declare that they used to be a Seal are the most dangerous.

It sounds like DIR wannabes are as dangerous as wannabe or bogus UDTs and Seals. :D

....My husband is 6' 5" and weighs about 230lbs. Believe me...I had a hard time restraining him...

I suprised you did not have to pry the instant buddy loose from your hubby's grasp while he held him by the neck over the side!

Back
Top Bottom