Saving money on a weight harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I am in the "always have easily ditchable weight" crowd, there is one scenario where I don't. When cave diving in Mexico I use Twin 80's (old skool :) ) and a 5mm farmer john/jacket. I use a 5 lb V-weight between the tanks and back plate and that's all the extra weight I need. Not sure of any scenario under which I would need to ditch weight during such a cave dive if properly weighted to begin with. While I really don't care what gear configurations folks choose I was always taught the two most important rules of diving are 1. Never hold your breath, and 2. Always make sure your weight is easily releasable.

As Steve Martin always said, "Whatever you do, remember, ALWAYS....., no wait, its NEVER......" :)

I think that DUI weight harness (I have the 3rd generation) is the bee's knees. :D New was about $130 or so.

I use it both single tank (with 5lb steel backplate and STA with lead insert which is 10lbs) and with my HP80 steel doubles (with 5lb steel backplate and 5lbs in a V weight between tanks). Much more comfortable than having weight on my belt. I'm a Great Lakes cold water diver and just need a lot of weight.

My tech instructor told me any weight on harness or a belt needed to be droppable.

If you are only going to use 3.5 tuna cans of lead, then I would think a normal weightbelt would be comfortable and would make the addition of an unditchable harness system even less beneficial.

I think that DUI weight harness (I have the 3rd generation) is the bee's knees.

@Marie13. Thanks for sharing. Which DUI harness model do you have? I’ve not seen one, but it appears the way it’s made, it (with weights) would be significantly more bulky on your body than a pocketed weight belt. What’s your experience?

Is the third gen, the present generation with yellow handles? Is that significantly different than prior generations?

@Marie13. Thanks for sharing. Which DUI harness model do you have? I’ve not seen one, but it appears the way it’s made, it (with weights) would be significantly more bulky on your body than a pocketed weight belt. What’s your experience?

Is the third gen, the present generation with yellow handles? Is that significantly different than prior generations?

I’ve worn a weight belt ONCE, during Intro to Tech. Instructor wanted to get rid of the bulky weight pockets on my belt. The DUI harness was suggested to me. Much more comfortable to me than the weight belt. No hard weights digging into my hips. Much easier to deal with than having heavy weight pockets on my belt, as I had before getting the DUI. THOSE were bulky!

I don’t know what the differences between generations are. Yes, mine has the yellow handles. Mine is the most recent (third) generation.

It was well worth every penny.

I’ve worn a weight belt ONCE, during Intro to Tech. Instructor wanted to get rid of the bulky weight pockets on my belt. The DUI harness was suggested to me. Much more comfortable to me than the weight belt. No hard weights digging into my hips. Much easier to deal with than having heavy weight pockets on my belt, as I had before getting the DUI. THOSE were bulky!

I don’t know what the differences between generations are. Yes, mine has the yellow handles. Mine is the most recent (third) generation.

It was well worth every penny.

Marie...

You may want to consider slowly replacing your ''hard weights'' for shot packs''...

They mold to your curves and to what ever pockets you place them in...making them very comfortable...are far more friendly to your gear...not damaging to anything if they're dropped...and provide little to no direct hand contact with ''lead''...

I have 44 pounds of ''Sea Pearls'' shot packs/strong fabric mesh pouches...split between 6's/4's/ 2's...

The fabric pouches can easily be repaired if needed with simple needle and thread...

More expensive per pound but superior to any ''hard ballast''...

W...

Hydrotech is an interesting quick release system. Reminds me of one on some Zeagle bcd which might be more easily DIY'd It uses some plastic cord (like whipper snipper / weed eater) and stitches the bottom of the weight pockets with it. Found the video:

There is also the argument that switchable weight really comes into play at the surface.

Personally, I don't have a problem with someone having non ditchable weight in shallow water while getting used to BP/W and doubles. As long as they have a buddy that they know, without a doubt, will be right there in case of trouble. Once the diver gets relatively comfortable and knows what their weight requirements are, then they can make an informed decision on which route to take.

DW

Edited to fix auto correct.

And I suppose I could just open the pocket and take the weight out.
Exactly. What's holding them in? It looks like a zipper. You can undo a zipper and pull out weight just as fast as some of those pinch here, pull there or squeeze buckle+velcro weight pockets. Plus you have control over how much you drop.

Back
Top Bottom