Saving money on a weight harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary Shepard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I started purchasing equipment to go to doubles. I'm using new and used to get there and save money. But when looking for a weight harness and pockets I thought the price was too high.

I go to eBay and purchase the Trident 5 pocket weight belt for 13 bucks and the WB80 Black weight suspenders for 20.

I received them both yesterday. The pockets are sewn to the belt. So I had to come up with a way to attach the back of the suspenders.

1. I first cut some extra length off the harness and made two small strips. To attach to the back of the belt .
2. I placed the strip where I wanted them. I used a soldering iron to make holes. I nice thing is, once you melt the holes the strip stays in place.
3. I used 3/16 rivets with a number 8 washer and attached both strips. I also put one in both front suspender straps to keep them from sliding.

I'm happy with the way it came out. And I have about 35 bucks into it. My lead is formed from a sardine can. They average 3 pounds 3oz. Two fit nicely in one pocket.

1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg
4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

I should add, once you melted the holes and before you rivet it, take a sharp knife and trim around the hole. The washer will not pull flat against the belt if you don't.

I started purchasing equipment to go to doubles. I'm using new and used to get there and save money. But when looking for a weight harness and pockets I thought the price was too high.

I go to eBay and purchase the Trident 5 pocket weight belt for 13 bucks and the WB80 Black weight suspenders for 20.

I received them both yesterday. The pockets are sewn to the belt. So I had to come up with a way to attach the back of the suspenders.

1. I first cut some extra length off the harness and made two small strips. To attach to the back of the belt .
2. I placed the strip where I wanted them. I used a soldering iron to make holes. I nice thing is, once you melt the holes the strip stays in place.
3. I used 3/16 rivets with a number 8 washer and attached both strips. I also put one in both front suspender straps to keep them from sliding.

I'm happy with the way it came out. And I have about 35 bucks into it. My lead is formed from a sardine can. They average 3 pounds 3oz. Two fit nicely in one pocket.

View attachment 578218 View attachment 578220 View attachment 578219
View attachment 578224 View attachment 578225 View attachment 578226 View attachment 578227
Problem here is now you cannot release any weight if need arises. Not a safe way to dive as you can never know when you may need to get rid of lead. A DUI weight and trim system is usually sold at less than $100, even less used at perhaps $50.

Back when I thought I needed weight: I just got a simple harness (same as yours), a simple weight belt (had one), 4 XS Scuba weight pockets (quick ditch models), and some sliders...

CAUTION: You can't ditch the weights out of your style belt quickly....

FWIW - with steel doubles, and a SS plate, I don't need any additional weight (and I am a Great Lakes cold water diver).

YMMV

There could be a problem that I would need to dump. But going back to 1981 till now I have many dives and the only problem I have encountered with weights is when you snag something and accidently drop it.

I'm not a panic type person. It would be very simple to cut the pocket and drop. Yes it may take me 5 to 10 seconds more, maybe. If 5 to 10 seconds is my life span, then I waited far too long.

About the only reason I would need to drop is because my wing died and I'm sinking. But them I just air up my dry suit and to the top I go.

And I suppose I could just open the pocket and take the weight out.

I not worried about dumping weigh. If I need to, a knife to the bottom of the pocket can dump them damn quick.
As an instructor I cannot allow the use of that as lead cannot be released instantly. Something go wrong and first thing asked in court would be why did I allow this to be used. As a boat owner I will not let you use it diving of my boat for same reason. Back when horse collar vests where used I had a diver who placed weight belt under the crotch strap . He was afraid of loosing belt. He had issues on surface, trouble staying on surface until I got it off him with much difficulty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom