Saving $$ diving in Belize, Yucatan etc.??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fantasia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

We're thinking about travelling to Belize, Yucatan and whatever other places our time (we've only got 1 month) and money permits. We really would like to do some dives, but we're on a budget. I haven't seen any prizes below $30 for one dive, that's a lot of money.... Got any good tips about saving some $$? Maybe some out of the way places that are a bit less expensive but equally good to dive?

Lisa

Hope others can help you more, but I'm thinking the Bay Islands, Honduras, may be the only place in the vicinity with dives that cheap.

hopefulist:
Hope others can help you more, but I'm thinking the Bay Islands, Honduras, may be the only place in the vicinity with dives that cheap.

Utila would be my suggestion! Roatan West End can still be done reasonably. Belize just aint happening in the economy class. It's a geographic issue more than anything. Once you get past paying for the air to the Bay Islands, it's still about the only way to dive cheaply.

Already lots of good information archived here on a "search".

I'm told you can dive on Utila for $17:50. And the diving there's excellent. Best you have your own gear (at least Reg & BC), or choose your rental gear VERY carefully. Don't know how they do it, as here in Belize that doesn't even cover the cost of fuel.

peterbj7:
Don't know how they do it, as here in Belize that doesn't even cover the cost of fuel.

You folks in Belize offer a wholly different product. I can appreaciate cost savings and the adventure offered by Utila, but y'all are more my style!

Niceties cost $, and to me, they're worth it.

If I had a full month to spend limited funds, I would make a dash for Utila!

That doesn't mean Utila is bad, it's probably perfect for the budget described. But when you factor in the cost of living, taxes and everything else, Belice is going to be worth (the cost) more, certainly at ProTech, anyway.

No one resort or island is for everyone.

I agree with Peter and RoatanMan - Love both Belize and Roatan - but they are pretty different - i've had a great time in Belize where i did my OW - it really is all about service - your gear is put together for you, there is water on the boats, fruit on the docks etc, and they rinse and hang everything for you - when in Roatan we lugged our own tanks and gear and set it up ourselves (good lesson for me who had pretty much forgotten how to do it after doing OW!!!), rinsed everything etc. Bay Islands are definately more backpackerish and cheaper- still think both are great value for what you get - in roatan we had max 5 people per dive, often more than that in San Pedro (ADM) but still not cattle boats!! Have a brilliant time! Hilary

peterbj7:
I'm told you can dive on Utila for $17:50. And the diving there's excellent. Best you have your own gear (at least Reg & BC), or choose your rental gear VERY carefully. Don't know how they do it, as here in Belize that doesn't even cover the cost of fuel.

Peter- Is this the beginning of the new website? Looks good, Ken :42:

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/protech/

I would also vote for Utila or Roatan- dive prices may be going up as fuel is now over $6/gal and I don't even want to think about the electricity (RECO) bill. Honduras gets almost all its fuel from the Gulf, and I've been hearing that fuel has been in short supply there.

yakivet:
Peter- Is this the beginning of the new website? Looks good, Ken :42:

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/protech/

Yes, Ken. But it'll take me a while before I learn how to "pretty it up". My main concern was to have something that was informative and that I could easily maintain up-to-date. I've had lots of offers from people to do it for me, but looking into each I thought I'll lose effective control - I'll keep it the way it is until I can do it myself. What I do want to do is get search engines to link through to it much better than they do at present.

Back
Top Bottom