Save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey,
Wax is for zippers, from your gear bag to wetsuit, drysuit, BC pockets, whatever. You can buy it at your LDS. I carry a tube of ZIP STICK in my kit also. :tree: Bob

We've all built respectable SAD kits... what have we actually USED from the kit. Cool turn on this thread.

After my first 3 day trip, I IMMEDIATELY set out to put together a kit that would be significantly more useful than the obligatory spare straps, mouthpieces and O-rings that compose your basic off-the-shelf SAD kit.

A partial list of my Must Haves / Used:

- film can filled with quarters (for the lockers at Catalina, and vending machines when you gotta have a snack)

- Toe Nail Clippers (no claws allowed - afterall, everyone's gonna see my feet...make great zip-tie cutters)

- Qtips... cleaning ears and other gear

- Oxyspy (sure, there's just air in that boat tank....)

- Tooth brush / paste (brush for minty fresh breath, paste to remove MOD and P02 from last dive from cylinder tag)

- Spare Truck key (don't ask....)

- batts, batts, batts - AA and C for lights, and whatever those funky batts are for my computer

- Cash (I'm pretty low budget...unable to scrape together a $100 bill....had to settle for a couple of 20's)

- O-Rings (used more times than anything else...have you seen those rubber shreads in some of the boat tanks...?)

- DIN -> Yoke adapter (THANK GOD I brought it on the last trip...)

Other not so obvious ones:

- Computer Manual (for moments of blondness...)
- DIN -> Imperial conversion cheat sheet (being buddied with a euro was scary. "Bars"...please.)
- SOX (nothing beats having at least one pair of 100% dry sox)

All jammed with the rest of my kit (hoses, straps, talc, wax, duct tape, zip ties, photocopy of C-cards, advil, sudafed, first stage plugs, scubatool, blah, blah, blah) into a Pelican 1440 with the foam removed. Dry, easy to find, all in one place. One of the best things I've done since I came to this board was take the time to write out and assemble a thorough dry box / SAD kit.

Having the stuff you need, when you need it is cool. Saving someone else's dive because you are over-prepared is better.

K

Nalu once bubbled...
Thanks! What is a diver's tool?:confused:
Or "Scuba Tool"
Here's a whole page of 'em.
Rick

...or lent to people:

-- zip ties
-- hose clips
-- stainless steel clip
-- elastic hair tie for long hair
-- batteries
-- Sudafed
-- sticking plasters

Plus I have lent out my mask and fins on occasions when I wasn't diving and someone else had thrown theirs into the ocean (seriously!).

Zept

Well now, I carry.................
1) an extra lp inflator hose
2) a hp hose
3) a lp hose for my second stage, Poseidon
4) Viton o rings of various sizes
5) Din to yoke adaptors
6) fin, mask, and light straps
7) anti fog capsules
8) A variety of plastic snaps, straps, and dog clips for gear
9) A variety of batterys
10) an extra strobe
11) Metric and SAE allen, and open end wrenches, screw drivers
12) A second stage reg, Poseidon
13) Various plugs, for tanks, valve ports, male and female din
14) Hand held flash lights, submersible type
15) A large eraser
16) Money
Of course there is always something you want you don't have, and it seems everyone else is useing stuff and not putting it back, or replacing it. However it's nice to have it.
Wreck/Tec

Large Eraser?

Wat fer...

Motovation asks, Large eraser? For clearing the pencil off my dive slate! You may have to communicate! There are only so many things you can say with fingers..........
Wreck/Tec

Sounds cheaper than my toothpaste usage. Then, however, your slate won't be minty fresh...

:eek:ut:

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
This is my kit straight off my pre-dive trip checklist. This is just the stuff that goes in my little Save-a-Dive drybox. Some of the items may not be readily understandable, as it's "my" checklist - so if anything's not quite clear just ask :)

Save-a-dive Kit:
___ Fin/Mask/Knife straps
___ Bee's Wax
___ “O” rings
___ Bulbs/batteries
___ Dust cap/port plugs
___ Mouthpiece/cable ties
___ Silicone grease/spray
___ Wetsuit cement/patches
___ BC cement/patches
___ BC & Weightbelt buckles
___ Pliers/Crescent wrench
___ Diver’s tool
___ Fid/Pocket knife
___ Inner tubes ????????????????????????
___ Line
___ $100 bill

Rick
... Rick, what do you use the "inner tubes" for? I've used bicycle tubes wrapped in duct tape for weights or is this bungee or surgical tubing you're referring to? I'm always in the hunt for something else to add to my SAD Steamer Trunk, maybe I'll just build a cap for a wheel barrel to transport my collection - sorry, guess that belongs in DIY section...They don't call me the tinman for nothin'...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom