Saturday CSSP report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Clear Springs Scuba Park
October 5, 2002

Ken (ScubaTexan) and I met at the north area of the lake for a relaxing afternoon dive. It was a nice day for diving, with low 80 degree weather and a slight northerly breeze. After letting a quick lunch settle we entered the bathtub temperature water and did a surface swim to the wall on the opposite side of the lake. We descended to about 30 ffw., just above the thermocline, and proceeded in a southerly direction along the wall. Dipping down occasionally into the themocline, with vis. 10-15 ffw., we explored the wall and the various indigenous marine life present which consisted of local bass and catfish.

Our intent was to locate and explore the silo that had been recently sunk in the lake. When we approached the approximate area on the wall that was directly in line with the silo we headed for open water. We found the buoy line attached to the silo, and made a descent into the murky water. Visibility and water temperature deteriorated rapidly, and at about 48 ffw. the visibility closed to about one foot. Deciding to abort the exploration of the silo due to poor vis. and 65 degree water temperature, we ascended to about 35 ffw. and returned to the wall.

We were finning along, investigating the cracks and crevices of the wall, when all of a sudden Thunk!, something struck my left ear. Turning quickly, I observed the source of the assault. There, hanging motionless in the murky water not a foot away with fangs barred was the dreaded, deadly Piranha Perch!

Instinctively, I reached for my dive knife to fend off another attack. The hard knot of fear appeared in my gut as I realized I had left my knife on shore. I glanced over at Ken, and he, too, was looking at the monster of the deep with horror and apprehension. I had heard that the vicious Piranha Perch would flick its tail three times before a demonic charge. I watched in horror as the monstrosity started twitching its tail...once...twice...

As the evil spirit of the depths started the third flick of its tail, I grabbed my octopus regulator and purged a forceful stream of slivery bubbles directly into the monsters face. Obviously disoriented by the strong flow of compressed air, the demon quickly disappeared into the gloom.

Ken quickly inspected my ear to make sure no blood was flowing, which would lead to a feeding frenzy of the deadly denizens of the deep if they scented blood in the water. Assured that no blood was flowing, we cautiously proceeded with our backs to the wall for its relative safety. Once we reached the point where we would have to cross open water, we made up our minds to secure our perimeter. Constantly circling to keep watch in all directions, we navigated the lake toward the dock. All at once, a form materialized out of the gloom. Apprehensively, we watched as the ghostly apparition took form. Slowly, slowly, the object appeared. A catfish! Thank goodness. We observed the large bottom feeder swim by and disappear into obscurity in the cold, dark waters.

Finally, we reached the safety of the dock and exited the deceptively peaceful looking waters. After doffing our dive gear we had a pleasant time conferring with Bill, Bridget, Janet, and other members of the group at the site. This is a marine adventure that will be recounted with friends over good food and good wine for some time to come.

Bwwwwaaaaa, excellent story line Mike. Many a Swamper has had to face down those menacing man-eaters with nothing more then their super sharp pointy finger. Next time they attack, I'll give then a face full of bubbles like you suggested then scurry away in the opposite direction before they get their wits back.

I now dive there only with a hood and a shark suit, sometimes my buddy uses a cage, also.

I am hoping to have the solution soon. I am working on a titanium male (spelling??) armor mesh hood sure to protect the soft fleshy lobes and reestablish the comfort we all once felt when diving the tranquil waters of CSSP.

Ya’ll should have seen them things when they were spawning. We did a night dive and as we were coming back along the western shore, we came across dozens of piranha perch lairs, with the monsters themselves hovering over, standing guard. It was like the scene from the original Alien where they descend down into the cavern with all the alien eggs. The perch were solid with their nests literally touch one another on all sides. Scary but cool to see.

Bill Walton
Advocate for the Father-Son Pan Fishing Tournament 2002.

SeaHunt once bubbled...
Bwwwwaaaaa, excellent story line Mike.

Hey, this wasn't a whopper....he told it like it really was! And he didn't even mention the anaconda that we found toward the bottom....:wink:

...wanna borrow a Bang-Stick? :)

......actually, the best strategy is to not be the 1st diver in the water.....wait until , say, early afternoon, before diving.....let the little beasties get their fill of ear-lobes from the crack-of-dawn crowd.

.......by the way......what can you tell us about the 'silo'.....I don't see it on the CSSP map......where is it? How big is it? Width/ length? Can you swim inside? How deep is it?

.....also, can you shed light (so to speak) on why the vis was so bad at that depth?
It's too deep for an algal bloom, and I doubt there are any divers stirring up the bottom, given the depth/temp.......so what's causing it?

Thanks,

Karl

scubafanatic once bubbled...

.......by the way......what can you tell us about the 'silo'.....I don't see it on the CSSP map......where is it? How big is it? Width/ length? Can you swim inside? How deep is it?
Ken and Bridget told me it was there, a little south of the north dock. Don't know why vis. was so poor, but it was.

Ken, can you give details on the silo?

sealskin98 once bubbled...
Ken, can you give details on the silo?

I'm afraid not. All I knew was that they were going to sink the silo. I saw it while it was still on top of the water, but as far as where it is underneath or at what depth, I have no idea. I figure we had to be close to it at the buoy line (48 feet), but is was so dark and murky, it was hard to get bearings as to where exactly it was on the bottom. The next time I try to find it, I'll bring my dive light and gloves -- it was getting pretty chilly down there.

......the next time I get to go maybe I'll ask the owners more details as to it's exact location.....I'm surprised they haven't marked it off with a bouy/float....they've marked off all the other attractions.......but if it's as deep as you say, it will be very cold down there...depth doesn't bother me, but 0 visibility and freezing water does........so I don't know if I'll bother diving it. I like swim throughs/swim intos, but that particular item might be more trouble than it's worth.

.......that lack of visibility really surprises me though.......wonder what's up with that......I sure hope the shallower waters are a lot better than that!

Karl

Haven't seen the silo, but Robert told me it was at the deepest part of the lake (the 58' area).

He also said that the lake is turning, so everything below thermocline one has lousy vis, but take it down further to 'cline two and it clears (I went to about 50 and it cleared up on vis, but was pitch black due to the murky thermo above blocking all light. Glad I had my HID). Also, there were no piranha at that depth.

Tried to find the newest occupant of the lake, the alligator. He's supposed to be on the SE side, but didn't find him yet (was with students, couldn't spend too much time looking). Will try again next week. (Don't worry, he's only about 4' and concrete).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom