Saturday (3/21/09) Point Lobos dive video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven't seen many dive reports from Sunday yet, but Saturday was really a day to be out! We had sun, warm weather, and truly ideal conditions topside - high tide in the morning at the ramp (sort of) and flat seas inside and outside of the cove.

One of my buddies had a catastrophic (OK, hilarious) wing failure last dive, so he arrived with a brand new DSS torus, ready to go.

By the time we hit the ramp, the Beach Hopper II was pulling into the cove. We must have looked especially pathetic, since the captain offered to throw us a line and tow us out of the cove! Visions of shark decoys and Waterworld flashed through my head...but man, we had to try it once. So we each grabbed some rope and hoped for the best. First lesson: dive boats go pretty darn fast. Second, when huge walls of kelp come barreling toward you at 10-15mph, you hold on with one hand and shield your face with your other :)

Anyways, we were lined up with Coal Chute Cove in maybe 45 seconds. We waved thanks to the BH2, which continued to points unknown, and we spent a minute to make sure we (and our gear) were still in one piece.

I was amazed as we descended. We usually get to gauge the visibility on our surface swim out, but we didn't have the chance to do that today. I hit my deflator, and saw the sand 10ft below me. How could that be? Then, as I started descending, I realized the floor was 40ft below me. Viz was really that good. Blue-green water, zero particulates, and tons of tiny mysid shrimp all over. This was going to be a great dive.

We kicked out to Hole in the Wall, and then veered left to Lone Metridium, which we hit at 15min bottom time. We turned north towards and over Sea Mount, and easily found Beto's. This was our first time descending to the reef itself, so we had a conservative dive plan allowing for maybe 15 minutes at a max depth of 100ft. The reef is characterized by some amazing structure. There are cracks, overhangs, arches and swimthroughs, and the reef was absolutely covered in life - elephant ear sponges, gorgonians, and definitely fish and inverts I've never seen in shallower water. We hit turn pressure way before MDL, and we motored back the way we came, along the Sea Mount massif, Lone Met and back to HitW and the sand channel.

We spent the next hour or so at 30-40ft working on drills (two months out of class and boy have we let ourselves go). Our next team dive is going to have some time dedicated to getting back into diving shape.

Anyways, the link to a larger format video is at: YouTube - Dive at Beto's Reef, but it looks like you can now hit "HD" in the embed to get a higher bitrate feed as well:

About 0:40 to 1min is all I got of the tow. It's hard to tell the boat is moving in the vid, but you can see the line is taut. Once we were moving, we all became huge sea anchors--if we didn't hold on with two hands, we would start slipping down the rope, and if we didn't shield ourselves from the oncoming kelp, we'd get walloped. So at that point, video was kind of out of the question :)

Ken,

Great video again and really enjoy your placid music during the dive. Also really nice that the BH pulled you guys out of the cove, what were they doing in the cove?

I noticed the water was 50 degrees did you guys hit any thermoclines at 90 feet?

MG

Heh, well the video is making me all excited for tomorrow's trip. Though I doubt we'll see as much as you did.

Never underestimate the power of the force if it's good viz you seek, you will indeed find it at Pt Lobos... :D

Thanks Mike.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I believe that you cannot dive Lobos sites without checking into the park and entering/exiting at the ramp. BH2 and one other boat has jumped through the hoops needed for some special arrangement - they pull into the cove, divers enter at the ramp and board the boat, they dive an outer Lobos site, and the boat drops them back off at the ramp afterwards.

The water didn't feel any colder at depth, but I generally don't pay attention to the temperature unless I'm chilly. I only got cold at 30ft as we sat motionless for 45 minutes doing drills.

...if it's good viz you seek, you will indeed find it at Pt Lobos... :D

Generally, the vis in the cove isn't so hot. Outside the cove is better, and the further south you go, the better the vis gets (generally, of course).

We had at least 70-80 ft of vis while diving at Mile Marker 67 on Saturday. Probably closer to 100 ft or better. The water was crystal clear, even right at the shoreline. The further out we kicked, the better it got.

The vis at Point Lobos on Friday wasn't anywhere near as good as that.

Fun video to watch! Well done on swimming out there and back, makes me feel guilty for doing it the lazy way. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom