Satin Apeks ATX200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kid Eternity

Reaction score
Easy question for you Apeks guys. I just received my shiny new ATX200, and the first stage is ?satin? and not black (I don't really give a damn about the color). I thought I had read a while back they had stopped using the black chrome because of a flaw in the plating process. Can anyone verify this? I've searched for a couple hours, and all over the board to no avail.

Thanks! Love the board, has definetely helped me to make informed purchasing decisions.

I've searched for a couple hours, and all over the board to no avail.

Strange...posted on this several months ago.

Anyway, yes it is true. The prior group doing the plating did a batch or two that did not meet "code". Apeks looked for a different group but could not find a group they were happy with...so, decided to go back to the TX100 style satin finish.

Personally, I prefer this as the black plating, although interesting, is only a thin layer that when scratched shows the silver color underneath. I like the satin look.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious as to where you purchased your new reg from. The only place I have seen this new "finish" is a picture on LPro. Did they do a nice job?

Enjoy the new reg!

MudDog

Well seems I also am in the same boat just got an Apex ATX 200 today and the finish is in satin. I prefer the satin finish myself. I had the same question you asked, got my answers here.

Yes, I was talking with AquaLung last week to get "MRP" on some Apex products, and they confirmed that the satin finish ATX200s are "official" in the US now as well.

I bought an ATX200/ATX40 combo from SimplyScuba in the UK a few weeks ago, and it came in the satin finish as well. They had a note on the product page mentioning that the black plated model is no longer available, which, like the rest of you, is just fine with me.

Regarding SimplyScuba, this is the second purchase I made with them and I'm generally happy with the customer service and delivery time (1 week from London to Seattle). BTW, I bought some chunky Scubapro hose protectors which I think are great. They were a pain to install (thank goodness for boiling water), but they seem to be significantly more protective than the default Apeks protectors.

I can't visually see any problems with it. Looks like the finish WILL be more durable than the black. Time will tell. For all my concern, it could be any finish!

So, I have the original (Black finish) ATX200 then... and it getting scratched badly... are there are other problems wiht the original black first stage? should I be worried and try to have them replace it?

FWIW, Apeks has apparently solved their problems with black chrome and is releasing the "Black Pearl" for 2004. It's plated in black like before, but has an etch of a hardhat diver on the first stage. This is to commemorate one of the Apeks founder's retirement.

If I remember right, the finish is still the same with the diver helmet on both the first and second stage. I think that is what I saw in the catalog at my LDS. And the ATX 100 has now been made avaiable in CANADA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom