Sat June 13th Monterey pics and report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryssyr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I went out with the Sanctuary on Saturday. I did two trips - the morning was Inner Pinnacle and Mono Lobo, the afternoon was Mono Lobo and me heading home early (we dropped two divers off after the first dive and since it was a long ride I decided to call it a day as well)

This was the first trip out with my new BP/W setup and it was great.

First off, I was able to shave off 2lbs from my rig, and I think I could probably get rid of 2 more. Here is the rig setup:

Halcyon SS backplate, 30lb capacity wing (super compact!), full hog harness and two weight pockets that fit on the waist strap. I have a backup light clipped off on the right D-ring and a clip on my long hose 2nd stage.

Diving single tanks, so I have a single tank bracket adapter with a 6lb weight insert.

total weight setup:

6 lbs with the steel plate
6 lbs in a tank bracket
5 lbs of lead in each strap pocket for a total of 22 lbs of ballast.

I think I can go to 4 lbs in each pocket and still be good. its nice not to have to carry 24lbs of lead in pockets.

Trim: my trim was rock solid and it was very easy to get horizontal. Maintaining neutral buoyancy was also a breeze. It was a little harder to get vertical for some photos, but I am sure I will get used to it.

Gas: My SAC rate was a lot lower. I'm not sure if that was because of the streamlining, better trim, less weight or a combination, but my back gas seemed to go a *lot* longer.

now for some of the things to get used to:

1. I went long hose with a short 2nd on a necklace, but I think I tied my necklace a little too short, I kept bumping my chin on the necklaced 2nd when I tried to look down.

2. Donning the bp/w is a little harder since the straps dont adjust. I needed a hand to get the straps over my drysuit shoulder dump and the other arm into the straps.

3. I miss the padded shoulders on the zeagle, but I'll toughen up.

Thats it for now. Heading out in the morning with Brewski and the gang at BW for a monday hooky dive.

It was pretty amazing how the conditions changed from the morning Mono Lobo (50 foot vis 48 degrees, dead still) to afternoon's 20-ish feet of milky vis and 52 degrees with some surge.

Thanks for reading. Now for the pictures!!

Inner Pinnacle:

Hydro coral everywhere!

IMG_3471.jpg

Whats this thing?

IMG_3484.jpg

Mono Lobo life

IMG_3545.jpg

switching to wide angle for mono lobo

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

Congrats on the switch to BP/W, you have the exact rig that I have... Just to give you an idea of lead on my rig; I use an 8 lb weight belt and 6 lbs for my SS plate that's 14 lbs and then my HID light is about 3 lbs (it's really 2.7). Total weight 17 lbs but I also use Jet fins...

I'm certainly not overweighted, I did a ballast check at 500 psi at the end of my dive... Robin, you might be able to shed the pounds you talk about, practice at the Break Water, that is what I did to drop weight with my new rig.

Safe diving....

MG

p.s
Robin I assume you are using the 5 or 6 foot hose? I currently use the 7 ft hose with my can light and the 5 foot hose when not diving the can light. You are right about the bungie backup reg, if you drop it just a tad it will not bump your chin. I had mine too low and then adjusted it to where it is now perfect, no bumping on chin and not too low that it interferes with my drysuit inflate.

By the way, gorgeous pics, I'd love to dive with you and get mysefl into one of those pics to blow up and hang in my room, the scenery is just so beautiful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures! You make me miss home & kelp diving!

Nice! I wanna see more Mono Lobo pictures though. :)

Nice photos Robin! Interesting re: your new set-up. Curious what made you make the switch as I thought you were "Z4L" (Zeagle 4 Life)? Anyhow, that's great re: your air consumption being down.

Grr... I'm rapidly becoming the only diver not using a BP/w in the NorCal region. Temptation is brewing... :D

Grr... I'm rapidly becoming the only diver not using a BP/w in the NorCal region. Temptation is brewing... :D

Brian,

I was the biggest non believer on this board and would not sell my SeaQuest ProQDi3 for nothing...

After almost a year of diving the BCD, I made the change and I would never go back, it was like once you go drysuit you never want to dive wet, ask Doc Wong?

The BP/W is the most streamline I have been and I have dove many different types of BCD's and Harness setups, BP/W is just the way to go, but you have to get use to it...

Mike G.

You are only a phone call away from diving a BP/W https://www.deepseasupply.com/ :D

Of course there are many good brands. Halcyon stuff is always good quality. I bought their hoses, along with some other stuff.

Thanks for the dive report and photos Robin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom