Sat Feb 5 - Dive at Cresant Beach mid morning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

69_Jeremy_69

Reaction score
I can't make Andrea's dive in the morning, because I'll be in White Rock Saturday morning. And since I was in the area I was thinking of going to Cresant Pier and doing some crabbing. Any takers?

Probally meet at about 11am at the pier. (Cresant Pier not White Rock)

Dive, take some pictures depending on silt and harvest some crabs.

Its not the clearest dives, and as soon as the current starts moving its time to go, but the pier does offer a few odities underneath. Anenomie beds, lost stuff, bikes, commercial crab traps. I usually find something usefull each time I go.

I can't make the dive but am curious about the crabbing. Do you get red rock, dungeness or both at that site?

At cresent 90% dungeness with the odd red rock (just legal usually 4" 1/2, seem to see lots of throw backs) showing up.

At White Rock though you can pick up more on the break water 5" to 6". Its more of a 60 40 split at White Rock - favoring the dungeness.

Deep Cove area almost always dungeness (80%), but they range up to +7" most times anything smaller I toss back, Reds mostly 6" up there if you see them. But up the Sunshine Coast you can pick up 7" Reds up there most times.

As it turns out, I'm going to head to White Rock pier at about 11am and free dive the pier. Got told all the biggens are in the shallows around the pier in 10 feet of water. (As of yesterday that is)

Everything worked out alright. Not one Red Rock though, all Dungeness. They were all mating and unfortunatly killing the females. So I did my best to seperate as many as I saw, there are no mature females in the area it seems. So they had all latched onto the wee ones, the wee ones can't survive. The starve and die since the males wont let go until they mate.

Any ways with 3 of us, me being the only diver. We came home with 8, brought up about 30 or so just free diving the pilons. Spent about 3.5 hours in the water. These new dry gloves are pretty slick. The deepest spot was 18 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom