Sartek Valve and Pony Bracket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pony Tamers for our pony bottles (design is simple and cop proof). We have used the SarTek RSV for the past 7 years. We are looking at an alternative as we now have three units that leak no matter how many times they have been serviced and "repaired". Just Saturday I had a diver surface after running his pony dry. Valve was in the right position for his main tank, but it ran off the pony and main. Unit was recently serviced and upon disassembly, did not appear to be inproperly serviced or maintained. The unit was condemed as the cost does not justify putting a diver at risk.. We also have Kirby Morgan blocks, which have been used for 12+ years without fail. We will be dumping Sartek in favor of the KM blocks.

Deep out doors is also coming out with one that I will be looking at show....check it out at their website

DEEP OUTDOORS :: WELCOME

Then go to hardware, then gas management....it wont let me put the actual page on here....its a fully stainless design that looks pretty easy to use. I will be looking at it closer, they are also coming out with a BCD that, from what I heard, is made by Homeland security, look for GRANTS on this!! I guess, New York, Boston, NJ, are some that brought in the BCDs....I will be looking and getting samples of those soon, but will report back after i see them at the show

Dive,

That is the same gas switch block that Oxycheq offers. It looks like a lot of their hardware is the same. M&J Engineering makes some items like the AGA LP swivel and some quick disconnects. Not sure if they make any of this stuff but it is probably a good chance they do.

Always like to hear about new gear targeted for PS so when you find out about the BC pass it along.

Mark D.

I will try and take some pics to post tomorrow when the show opens up, and let you know my first opinion based on a visual

I bet your right about the hardware, Im going to ask them tomorrow....Anything else your interested in while Im out here at DEMA? Can ask other questions...

Most of my dive teams just want me to ask Viking to make a more durable Dry Glove, or find a more durable dry glove.....

I have heard of trouble occuring with the Sartek as it is made from delrin which can be scored by sand, etc. and cause leaks.... of solid brass, it is bulletproof.

My impression would be that delrin should be at least as tough as brass (if not tougher). Its not like PVC or some other softer plastic. The same scoring would likely occur with brass too (it being a soft metal)....

...but we've not used ours as much or as long as Yotsie (only 4 yrs and we're not as busy as him). Not a problem yet but I will be watching based on Yotsie's remarks!

I probably would prefer replacing the mask mounted unit every 5yrs if needs be vs going to anything chest mounted for reasons that va began to speak about.

Yotsie - why do you think they failed?

Dittri, Interspiro was there, but didnt have a good presence nor did they really want to talk or be friendly, was pretty sad......

BUT, guess who is coming out with a replacement to the AGA :D Check in new thread I started

Yotsie - why do you think they failed?

Well, I took one apart and looked. It's scored pretty deep. We have changed all the o-rings with the SarTek rebuild kit on a regular basis. My personal opinion (not scientific or anything) is we dive is some filthy, dirty water in which fine abrasive particles may have entered the unit and went to work between the Delrin and o-rings. I like it to pouring a slight amount of sand into an engine cylinder and looking at the results. The units are old and well used, don't get me wrong. We use KM block on our surface supplied bailout bottle harness and I can not for the life of me think why we went with the Sartek. Muscle-memory (as in firearms) comes to mind and I want to have a standard block across the board.

I'm not trying to condemn the Sartek block. It worked well for us going on close to eight years. We are now seeing issues and a need for replacement and I want to further the standardization of our gas switching.

BTW, we're easily going to break the 30 calls mark for the year for the first time I've been with the team.

thanks Yotsie, I'll watch for this on ours.

Standardization is a good idea of course

Back
Top Bottom