Sardine Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Natal Sharks Board flew along the coast from Durban to Port Elizabeth but no sardines were sighted only Gannet will still be posting the latest at guinjatabay Dive Forum - Index
John

The Natal Sharks Board flew along the coast from Durban to Port Elizabeth today 4th June and reported there is a large shoal about 150KM long between the wild cost and East London moving north along the coast for the latest info visit guinjatabay Dive Forum - Index

Hi John, thanks for the update. I wanted to travel down to the coast for the Sardine run but my work schedule is hectic. My wetsuit had been dry now for 3 months. It's a shame!!

John,

Thanks for the reports. My wife and I will arrive in Durban on June 19 and will stay there on the 19th and 20th at the Tropicana Hotel.

Steve

That is great Steve. Are you going to dive at Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks?

Although the sardines are running late this winter, a massive shoal is waiting in the wings. Sea temperatures are dropping and all indications are that we could expect a bumper sardine run. Veteran sardine watcher and Sharks Board spokesman, said his organisation had been ovserving the progress of the "greatest shoals on earth" since the middle of last month.
Sardine season is a stressful time for Sharks Board Officials. A surprise arrival of the shoals while the shark nets are still in place can result in unnecessary fatalities of sharks and marine mammals. During the run-up to the arrival of the sardines, Sharks Board officials make weekly sardine spotting flights along the southern KwaZulu-Natal and Transkei coastlines.
Yesterday, they saw a massive shoal stretching all the way from East London to just shouth of Hole in the Wall, on the Transkei Coast. The shoal had moved north about 30km since last week's spotter flight.
"The sardines are further south than usual for this time of year and appear to be moving slowly. However, conditions are good. At the moment, sea temperatures are ranging between 18 and 19 degrees. Temperatures need to be below 19,5 degrees to be cold enough for the sardines to arrive". You just never know what to expect. The only predictable thing about the greatest shoals on earth is that they are totally unpredictable. Although the large shoal should take a while to move up to the KwaZulu-Natal coast, it is the small, breakaway pockets of fish that give Sharks Board staff headaches. These "pilot shoals" - as they are often called - can move extremely fast, surprising Sharks Board officials. For this reason, officials will probably start removing some nets in the Port Edward area later this week. Drumlines will remain in place.
The sardines are not the only tardy winter visitors this year. The whales have also been slow to arrive, but are now here in abundance. When they flew this week, sardine spotters counted at least 20 humpback whales between Durban and Port Edward. In winter, the whales move from the cold Antarctic to tropical waters, where they give birth. They move back south in October, November and the beginning of December.
Other marine winter visitors are the thousands of bottlenose dolphins and the smaller, faster, common dolphins which follow the shoals to join our resident populations. Thousands of Cape gannets also arrive with the sardines, adding to the spectacle of the greatest shoal on earth.

Steve
Give me a call when you out maby we can have a beer or two I live about 30 KM from Aliwal shoal 039 9721895
Also if you you need any help booking dive,accommodation or tours give me a shout
John

10 June Sardines expected to arrive on Natal South Coast this afternoon

As posted earlier, I'm flying out next Thursday for the SEAL 21st to 30th trip - how are things looking for then?

BTW (and this is a very noob-ish question) I have a particular bugbear about gear getting mixed up and have got myself a flourescent pink 30lb wing to avoid this. I know Tiger Sharks can be attracted to bright colours, but what about the species I'm likely to encounter on the Sardine Run? I have a boring black Oxycheq with 18lb lift, but had a feeling that this might be a bit low in lift for open seas.

Any thoughts? If need be, I can borrow a black 30lb lift wing, but I'm kinda partial to the looks of horror and disdain I get when putting on the pink monster.

Many thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom