Sardine Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stallion

Reaction score
Just got an sms now informing me that that Sardines have hit the Natal coast!
Gonna be driving down to the coast tomorrow morning,for the weekend, hopefully I'll get to see some major sardine action.

Don't know if I can fit my dive gear in the car, but if I do, I'll try get a dive in.

stallion:
Just got an sms now informing me that that Sardines have hit the Natal coast!
Gonna be driving down to the coast tomorrow morning,for the weekend, hopefully I'll get to see some major sardine action.

Don't know if I can fit my dive gear in the car, but if I do, I'll try get a dive in.

Hi S,

Argghhh ! I hate people that live in South Africa. Jump in the car and drive to the Sardine Run indeed. Remember that some of us live in the cold frozen north. So please send us some crumbs and let us know how it went. I hope to see South Africa in 2006 ! Have a great time !

Deano2

sweet thanks for the heads up, im gonna drive down tomorrow as well

I hate u scubashooter! :wink:
That video is awesome, I think u have put the wheels in motion for me to organise a trip down to the transkei next year.

Spent most of saturday afternoon at Port Edward, waiting for any sign of the shoal, unfortunately here was not much happening. Then decided to charter a plane, which was way awesome. Flew all down to Mboyti, saw thousands of birds, could also see a few hundred dolphins swimming about. Unfortunately did not see the black patched of sardines i was hoping to see, but otherwise the flight was really cool.

Sunday morning I woke to reports that nets of sardines had been landed at Glenmore.
Drove there to find no netters, but there were a lot of birds diving, and you could see the dolphins shoaling and hunting the pockets of fish from the rocks. I was determined to find a net in the water though. After much running around we managed to find a netter with a net in the water on margate beach but after much waiting we discovered his net was stuck on a rock! So we left and drove back down towards Port Edward. Enroute I stopped and asked some netters if they knew of any of nets in the water, and finally I struck gold, Marina Beach! Drove like a mad man there and just got there in time to watch them pull the net from the water. The buzz of activity was amazing to watch.

Unfortunately drove down with three women in the car, so there DEFINATELY no space to pack my scuba stuff. But I'll definately go back down soon to catch the sharks on Protea Banks though.

Thanks for the superb video! That is some of the coolest footage I've ever seen. The editing and music were great too.

well i can just walk across the road to the beach and the sardines! they arent here yet
advance shoals beached at pumula yesterday (monday)

Back
Top Bottom