Sanyo's "eneloop" AA rechargeable batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sanyo has produced a rechargeable AA battery called the "eneloop battery" that they claim does not discharge from lying around and therefore puts out more power for longer periods of time compared to the higher mAh power rated batteries even though the eneloop battery is 2000 mAh.

Any feedback from Scubaboarders on this one?

I'm curious about these as well. I'm considering an Inon D-2000 Type 3 strobe and just read on Reef Photo's web site that the "enloop" is the ONLY compatible Ni-MH rechargeable battery in Type 3 strobes. They say that due to their 'self-discharge' characteristics and discharge profile, older generation Ni-MH rechargeable batteries or high capacity Ni-MH batteries can lead to excessive head during use which can damage the electronics of the D-2000 Type 3 strobe. I see that they're only rated as 2000mAh whereas the new set (of 8) Mahas that I just bought are 2700mAh.

Anyone have any info/firsthand experience with them?

Daz

The new Inon Z240 type 3 strobe has the same limitations - I'm also interested to hear more about these batteries. My feeling is if the device takes something the size of an AA battery it shouldn't cook itself if you put an AA battery into it. What a PITA.

Nathan

I've read a couple of reviews on these batteries and the reviewers have been very happy with how long the batteries seem to last especially in high end electronics. I haven't tried them but I'm thinking about it.

Yeah, I use the older Sanyo rechargeables and they're great, but it would be nice to be able to charge these new Eneloop ones the day before leaving on a trip and not worry whether they'll die on you mid-dive the next day.

I looked at these while I was in Perth over Christmas. The guy at the battery shop said that he did not think they would be suitable for something like my uw strobes (or my speedlite) and that I would be better off sticking with my normal rechargeables.

The eneloops were almost three times the price, but he didn't push the sale to those. Who knows. I'd be curious for real life information.

I've got two sets of the Eneloop batteries. They definitely last longer outside of a device than your typical NiMH AAs from Duracell and Energizer. I don't have to worry about recharging them right before I use them like I used to do.

The Rayovac Hybrid batteries are supposed to be similar to the Eneloops and probably easier to obtain but I haven't had a chance to test them out yet.

Oh, I should mention that I use my Eneloops for just a plain old point and shoot digital. They last a decent amount of time. Not as long as a brand new set of fully charged NiMH from Duragizer but they still last as long as they did when I bought them 6+ months ago.

I see the appeal of these for traveling - dive right when you land!
Unless you are going to be on a flight for a couple weeks solid (diving on Mars anyone??) then the self discharge of normal NiMH is going to be negligible.

Where the Eneloops excel is in something like a flashlight thrown in a drawer in your kitchen that only get used once in a while. It will still have a reasonable charge after several months, and unlike alkalines, if you accidently left the light on you just recharge the batteries.

I noticed today that Costco Sells them. I think it was 8AA w/ 2AAA for $25 or 10AA w/ 4AAA and a case and charger for $27.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom