Santi vs DUI: a new drysuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a new dry suit.

It has to be custom made. I don't fit in any size chart (petite but muscular and big bone).

I was thinking between a DUI FLX extrem or a Santi (don't know all the models)

I currently have a Pinnacle Evo 2. I like the ruggedness of that material. I'm doing all sort of diving (shore, boat, cave, wreck, scooter).

any suggestions?

I own a DUI FLX Extreme and have tested a Sante e.Lite. They are very similar suits, but IMO, Santi has stepped up the design of certain elements: suspenders are stronger, and are "clipped" in place, so you can undo them if you get a leg on the wrong side. Their pockets are huge and well designed with "feelable" edge on the flap = nice with thick gloves, built-in bungee and wetnote pocket. The Santi "turbo sole" is more rugged and "stable" than the DUI version and has built-in fin strap keeper. The Santi suits use the plastic Tizip zipper, which is less sensitive to bending/breaking than the metal zipper - it is also "self repairing" and needs less maintenance. The cut of the torso on the Santi suit is made to fit horizontal trim with arms out front - a nice feature that could make it easier to reach your valves.

What's missing - for me - from the Santi is the Zip seals. I use that feature a lot, and would prefer to have it on any drysuit I would own. I've used Viking dry glove rings and they work well, but are kinda bulky compared to the flexible zip seals.

Just my 0.02

SANTI ESPACE or Elite

Hi Xaryo,

If your looking for a rugged suit, SANTI has a couple that I would recommend.

The Espace is a trilaminate dry suit constructed of a Nylon outer shell, Butyle rubber and a polyester interior.
San-1002-2T.jpg

The E.Lite is also a trilaminate drysuit but with a ripstop nylon outer shell that has the strength of Cordura but lighter and thinner. It also has the Butyle rubber and polyester interior.
San-1004-2T.jpg

You can get the new Si-Tech Antares Ring System installed on any SANTI Drysuit ans well as the Si-Tech Neck-Tite System if you want the ability to quickly change out your wrist or neck seals.

Get all the premium options that you would
expect in a drysuit for one price!

All Made To Measure and Stock SANTI Drysuits include the following:

• Choice of Color
  • Choice of Inflation Valve (Apex or Si-Tech)
  • Choice of Exhaust Valve (Apex or Si-Tech)
  • Choice of Boots (Flexsoles, Neoprene Socks or Neoprene Boots)
  • Choice of Zipper (Plastic Ti-Zip or Metal)
  • Choice of Coned or HD Bottle Latex Wrist Seals
  • Choice of Latex or Neoprene Neck Seal
  • Choice of Hood (6mm or 9mm, standard or collard)
  • Free membership to the SANTI Stay DRY Club

• 3 year warranty, optional 5 years for Stay DRY Club members
  • Long Lasting Quality
  • Comfort that one would expect in a drysuit
  • 11" of Telescoping torso
  • Easy to remove or install inflation/exhaust valves, NO Sealant Required
  • Unique suspender system with internal pocket and quick release suspenders
  • One continuous piece of fabric from the bottom of your wrist to your waist
  • Double stitched seams, conveyer belt glue with rubber tape that wont crack
  • 2 pockets
  • Knee pads
  • Drysuit bag
  • Drysuit hose
  • Talc Powder
  • Zipper Wax

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Stay DRY, Dive SANTI

OceanEdge Outfitters

It has to be custom made. I don't fit in any size chart (petite but muscular and big bone).

I currently have a Pinnacle Evo 2. I like the ruggedness of that material. I'm doing all sort of diving (shore, boat, cave, wreck, scooter).

any suggestions?

You can avoid the tariff for custom made by looking at the Fusion dry suit. It also can be bought with the SiTech neck and wrist seal replacement system.

I had my first Fusion for four years and about 450 dives before the zipper failed. The suit itself had had three leaks -- one I made when I put the p-valve in, one that occurred in a significant fall off a boat in Florida, and one pinpoint leak that is the only one I can "blame" on the suit.

It's a relatively inexpensive suit, very durable, and doesn't require a custom cut. Hard to argue with.

I currently own DUI TLS. I have chance to try Santi, forgot the model. From the dive point of view, they are about the same. From workmanship, attention to detail and quality of construction point of view, I think Santi is definitely a step up. Have that said, if I were to buy another suit today, I will give White Sport skin a try. Mainly I want to be able to dive at home (50F water) and in tropical location (80F)

I have a Santi and would recommend it to anyone that wants a rugged and comfortable suit. It seems to have a lot less complaints than the new DUI suits have.

I have owned several DUI suits, and currently own and use a Santi trilam as well as two special neoprene suits from O'Three. If your choice is a shell suit, then there is, in my opinion, no contest... Buy the Santi, you will not regret the choice.

If you are looking for base-layer undies (the Santi comes with a thermal shell), check out this blog entry. HERE>>>

I went to the website, Steve, and I can't for the life of me find any information about what that stuff is made of. Is it fleece-based, Hollofil, or Thinsulate, and can it be washed?

As a side note, I wish undergarment designers would realize that the ability to reach one's car keys without having to remove the entire suit is a very nice feature. Putting the pockets where O'Three has done requires getting at least the top of the suit off for many designs.

any suggestions?

Can't comment on Santi (no personal experience) but we bought 4-5 DUIs from different dealers, and had nothing but bad times through and through with their quality and service.

My first dry suit was a Whites, then came a couple DUI TLS's, test dives in a Flex Extreme and a Fusion. I now a own a Santi.
When I priced a DUI Flex Extreme with all the options that the Santi comes stock with I was within a few dollars.
I'll just say my Santi is a very comfortable suit to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom