Santi leaking...again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek:

Better buy all three!

When it comes to the suit replacement, I use Seaskin, hard to beat the price for a custom made suit, just bought my second one, neoprene with si-tech valves, wrist and neck replaceable seals, pee valve and a pocket it hit my door at $925.

Cheers for the recommendation, I'll look into it. I just want a suit I don't have to baby quite so much and lasts for more than 3 winter seasons.

I have patched at least 50 holes in my E-motion. Friends call my drysuit a quattrolaminate: trilaminate with a fourth layer of Aquasure.

I stop the leaking with just two tiny drops of aquasure. Rub the first one in the fabric so it sticks, and drop another one on to have a thicker layer. No patch needed. Dry and diveable in 12 hours.
I first degreased with some rubbing alcohol to be sure. You can glue on both sides, but the inside will be invisible.

To find the hole, I used to apply three techniques. First one: I turned my drysuit inside out, put it on a ramp and let the legs run full of water. It will leak were the holes are, mark with a ballpoint, very efficient system. Let dry on both sides before applying glue!

Second, pump the suit full of air by the inlet, use a small bucket and two cans of beer to close the neck and pols seals. Use water with lots of soap and a brush to cover the leaky spot in soapy water. Best for holes in the top end of the suit or leaky zipper. Not always easy the find the small holes. Pressure in the suit must be quiet high.

But first or when I travel, I take a strong torch, find a really dark place (closed bedroom in the evening) and shine from the inside in the drysuit.inch by inch. Pinholes will become little stars. Most easy method, especially abroad (use the dive torch, but don't let it become to hot though, cool with water from time to time) and you will find almost all holes, except the crotch area where the fabric is double. I find the hole in less than a minute that way, no drying required.

Yesterday, I bought myself an Ursuit Cordura. Got tired of checking my E-motion every single week. The seams were getting loose as well after only 3-4 years.

I'm anticipating a new suit as I'm gonna get very tired very quickly of spending time hunting for holes. At 172cm and 51kgs and living in Japan, I have really only have two choices custom made overseas or an Aqualung Fusion. I'm not too keen on the Fusion but it may well be the easiest option. The range of dry suits available here is very limited indeed and almost exclusively the only suits available at stores are ugly as sin locally made neoprene suits.

Last edited:
I've been shadowing this thread, if only for the honest long term user reviews of the much hyped Santi drysuits. Thank you for helping me to dodge that bullet.

The Aqualung/Apeks/Whites Fusion drysuits look like an interesting hybrid alternative that I've been considering too. The external sacrificial neoprene skin layer would protect the membrane from friction holes. Expensive though, even in the UK, where SeaSkin and OThree are popular local custom made drysuit choices.

I've had a Santi for a few years, I think they are fine but overpriced. I'm very happy with my Otter Britannic.

I've had a Santi for a few years, I think they are fine but overpriced. I'm very happy with my Otter Britannic.

What suit do you have? All Santi suits, it appears, are not created equal. Cheers.

Enduro might be more robust.

Last edited:
I'm anticipating a new suit as I'm gonna get very tired very quickly of spending time hunting for holes. At 172cm and 51kgs and living in Japan, I have really only have two choices custom made overseas or an Aqualung Fusion. I'm not too keen on the Fusion but it may well be the easiest option. The range of dry suits available here is very limited indeed and almost exclusively the only suits available at stores are ugly as sin locally made neoprene suits.
I have the Fusion as do a number of my dive buddies. Although it does not look that tough, in practice it is and if you do get a hole they are very easy to repair with the available heat tape. My repairs have been as a result of mishandling and not as a result of any weakness of the suit. The suit is a joy to dive but can be a bit of a pain to don and doff compared to some.

Last edited:
What suit do you have? All Santi suits, it appears, are not created equal. Cheers.

Enduro might be more robust.

I had an espace. Personally, I won’t go back to Santi. I sell Otter suits now and my customers and I are very happy.

Back
Top Bottom