Santi E.lite vs DUI CLX 450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveladdikt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
ok so im just about to get a new suit! and im debating between the Santi E.lite or the DUI CLX 450.
so here's what i have for information so far. would love to ear anyones 2 cents about it.

DUI CLX 450:

so the shop where i teach sells DUI and i could get a keyman deal on it. the reason why i want the CLX is that it is by far the most robust DUI "tech" suit. so all the boys and girls that i dove with at home ( vancouver ) have a hard on for DUI. a buddy of mine had his 450 for 10 years and had no complaint what so ever. but ive heard a lot of complain also. ( my cave instructor a feww years ago just hated them and told me to stay away ) i've also heard that they were really great suits back in the days but that the quality went down a couple notch in the pass years. lots of leaks from the socks and things like that! in my latest trip in the great lakes i've meet a lot of new people and got a better perspective on DUI vs SANTI. a lot of em were diving DUI but seems to be willing to go with Santi for there next investment.

Santi E.lite:

Just heard of em recently in my last trip on the empress of ireland. one guy had one everyone else had DUI but were very keen on the Santi. so i went and check forums and discussions about both suits. still hard to make a decision. i've meet someone recently the does custom repair for drysuit and is a also selling both DUI and Santi. first thing, his shop was filled with DUI suit to repair vs no Santi at all ( im sure there is more north americain diving DUI than Santi ) but he was totally saying to go with Santi and not because that he would make more money selling a Santi then a DUI coz he actually match my keyman deal from the shop on a DUI so price wise they will endup being the same, moreless... he was just saying that the cut, the fit, the attention to details and just overall quality ( even with the undergarment ) is a step above, and the good part is, if i need a repair i can send it to him instead of back to poland.

so im more then happy to ear about your experience and you thought on either one!

all and all i know they are prob both great suits but at this point im leaning towards Santi ( and please if you gonna reply dont bother if you gonna talk about Whites or any other suits. just not interested )

thx! have a good splash!

Curious on this as well - I'm considering trading my Fusion in for a Santi, especially after TS&M's glowing review.

I have measured it at Santi demo days , but still collect money for MTM with undersuit :-( . I likevery much E.motion trousers rip which is unique shaped like saddle (weakest point of all dry suits ).

Went to a Santi demo last week tried an E Lite, liked it a lot. Going to a DUI demo in couple of weeks, hope to try an FLX. I am looking at getting a second drysuit next year so I'm taking advantage of these demo events to make a more informed decsion this time around. I'm also following TS&M's thread (and now this one) as I get closer to deciding which suit I'll go with. I'll try to post an up-date after trying the DUI…

I am starting with the preface that I just bought a Fusion because my weight fluctuates a lot (I was just medically released from the military - I'm trying to get my weight down again but it's hard) so it makes the most sense, at least until I can stay at a steady body weight and composition.

That being said, I did a ton of research and talked to quite a few divers because I was considering the DUI. ScubaBoard steered me towards the Santi and I had a chance to check one out and definitely would have gone with the custom cut if I went in that direction.

Well, I'm sure happy with my Santi. I've had it now for what, about four months? No signs of wear at all, and I love the little thoughtful things (like the clips on the suspenders that I just discovered the other day!).

You can have my Santi.........if you can pry my dry body out of it.

I have yet to dive a CLX but I have hundreds of dives in a DUI TLS. My TLS must be one of the lucky ones as it stayed dry for the most part.
Last year at DEMA I was looking at replacing my current suit and looked at most; DUI, Whites, Santi, Fourth Element, Waterproof, BARE and DC. It came down to two, DUI and Santi. The flexibility I have with Santi does not compare, the pocket design and function is far better, I like the suspenders and zipper by Santi.
The DUI base cost was less, but when I added all the 'extras' I was a few hundred away from the cost of a Santi. I spent a extra $$ for a custom cut.

Again you can have my Santi..... .

here is a couple concerns that i have on the Santi E.lite!

1st- the exhaust valve is really high profile which i think might be a pain in the ass when taking my rig off since i keep it really tight on me so its kind of a limbo dance usually to get out of it. also i would be concern about the height of the exhaust valve as it might be easier to rip off or damage as you get through small restriction. Any thought on that???

2nd- this is just personal, but i found the pocket to be a bit big. i dont need suit cases on each side of my thighs. and i do like zipper pockets, had velcro on my last suit and not a big fan of it. so that is one thing i prefer from DUI; pocket size and simplicity. i dont need a pocket in my pocket and a zipper on the flap for clips!!!

but since i am getting it from a custom shop he said he can put everything i want on it, like OMS pee valve, i can choose between DUI rock boots or the Santi ones. and im sure if i wanted different pockets he could do something about that to!..

here is a couple concerns that i have on the Santi E.lite!

1st- the exhaust valve is really high profile which i think might be a pain in the ass when taking my rig off since i keep it really tight on me so its kind of a limbo dance usually to get out of it. also i would be concern about the height of the exhaust valve as it might be easier to rip off or damage as you get through small restriction. Any thought on that???

I believe you can get any valve you want on your Santi. I thought I wouldn't like the "tall" valve that comes on the Santi for the same reason, but I never noticed it... other than it vents better than the valve on my DUI. No problem doffing scuba unit. Lastly, I can't imagine what kind of diving you're doing where the valve would "rip off" going through a small restrictions - and I spend most of my time in tight wrecks.

As to the boots, I prefer the boots on the Santi to the DUI rockboots.

I requested SiTech valves on my Santi, and got them. I've never had any problems with my harness or with restrictions with SiTech valves -- then again, I don't go through any restrictions where I have to take my tanks off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom