Santa Rosa Motel Review Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since most of the people diving the Blue Hole and Rock Lake stay in town in one of the many motels there, I thought it might be useful to have a thread that provides information about the motel choices, including both factual information and opinions. That way people can be a little more informed about their lodging options in town. I have a personal reason for this---I am not satisfied with the choices I know so far, and I want to see where other people have stayed and what they think of it. So I will start by writing about the three I have used in the past. (You can probably tell from my reviews that I pay a lot of attention to the breakfast situation, and I like to have a protein source in it.)

Travelodge
This is what I have used the last two times I have been in town, and I chose it because it is among the cheapest and I was looking to save $$$. The beds and showers are fine, but the rooms are not super spacious. It has a good TV (which I never watch anyway) and a small refrigerator and microwave. There is no good place for the coffeemaker, which I didn't use, either. The WiFi was good and worked well. The amazing thing is the lack of working electricity. In both rooms my group rented both times we went, the majority of electrical outlets did not function at all. This last time, I had to unplug the clock to get enough working outlets for my own electrical needs--bring your own power strip if you have to do a lot of recharging. The continental breakfast is not at all good--the only protein is in the milk and the cream cheese packets. It is just the basic pastries and breads, cereal, orange juice, apples, oranges, and coffee type of thing. The time before last, we skipped it and went to Denny's. When you book, you get a pretty scary message telling you that your reservation is not refundable for any reason, so don't even think of cancelling.

Quality Inn
I have not been there in over a year, so so of this may have changed. It is quite a bit pricier than the Travelodge. The rooms are nice and reasonably spacious. Hopefully they have improved their WiFi router since I was last there. Just about every time I went, I had to call the office and ask them to reset the router because it was out of IP addresses. Once connected, though, it was fine. The breakfast is better than Travelodge, with some protein choices including scrambled eggs and a waffle maker. Their main hot item is biscuits and gravy, which I don't eat, so I would prefer some variety.

Best Western Adobe
I used to stay there a lot, but not for several years. It is on the lower side of cost, although not as cheap as some others. the rooms are very spacious, so you have lots of space for bags, drying things out, charging batteries, etc. I never had a problem with the WiFi. The breakfast is mediocre--standard cold continental, with the only protein being hard boiled eggs and peanut butter. (I used to bring a little mayonnaise and make egg salad.) The main reason I won't go there is concerns about my health. In several of the rooms, I found that after a few minutes in the bathroom, my head would be completely congested, and it would take a while for it to recover. I suspected a mold problem. (No proof of that--just a suspicion.)

Hampton Inn
The most expensive choice. I stay there on Hiliton points. It's a great value in terms of HHonors points. Varied Hot and cold breakfast. Many choices. Clean rooms. No rooms are indoors, so no tanks in the rooms. Indoor pool is nice, game room for debrief. Cookies at night. Reliable fast wifi.

La Quinta
Best breakfast in town, and really nice. Expensive. Clean

​Travelodge​
Been using them for many, many years now. When we take students we suggest they stay there as well. Cost is great (50-something after tax). Rooms have always been clean. What I like the most is the security and ability to back a vehicle right up to your room. Everything is ground level (except for two rooms). Neither myself, my staff, or ANY of my students have had their vehicles messed with overnight. If anything ever did happen the State Patrol office is across the street.
It was mentioned the rooms are not spacious. They are standard size for a hotel room. There is however a larger room with 3 beds in it on the east side of the complex. I don't believe it costs more and it's huge. There's even a large table that 3 of us sat at and ate. You can always ask if it's available and see if there is a price difference. Like I said, I'm fairly certain there is not.
My only complaint is that they love to rush in and clean the rooms as early as possible. This entails opening your room door very early, usually when you're sleeping. I almost shot the guy that opened the door at around 8:15. If you want to sleep in a little (we were because it was a non-diving day since we were driving back), be sure to put the do not disturb sign on the knob. Probably best to use the security latch too just in case.
Best rooms are the ones closest to the office. They renovated and it took time. The best jobs are closest to the office. I had one room (forget which one) where the door opened to the bathroom and the toilet was in the way so it only opened halfway. That was weird. But all in all I love Travelodge. I don't spend much time in my hotel room when I'm down there. I'm either IN Blue Hole, AT Blue Hole, or just using the room to shower or sleep!

Best Western Adobe
I used to stay there a lot, but not for several years. It is on the lower side of cost, although not as cheap as some others. the rooms are very spacious, so you have lots of space for bags, drying things out, charging batteries, etc. I never had a problem with the WiFi. The breakfast is mediocre--standard cold continental, with the only protein being hard boiled eggs and peanut butter. (I used to bring a little mayonnaise and make egg salad.) The main reason I won't go there is concerns about my health. In several of the rooms, I found that after a few minutes in the bathroom, my head would be completely congested, and it would take a while for it to recover. I suspected a mold problem. (No proof of that--just a suspicion.)

If you choose this one, you ask for the divers discount, should be about $53. The best thing about it they don't care if you haul tanks and wet gear into the rooms. Probably the cause of the mold issues also. Nothing else good about it.

Holiday Inn Express

Exactly what you expect. Clean, newer, not at nice as the Hampton Inn, but close. Decent breakfast. Same problem with indoor access to the rooms. Small pool. I stayed on points also, not sure about pricing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom