Santa Rosa Hotel recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a trip to Santa Rosa in May to refresh our skills and check out some new gear. We haven't been there since certifying two years ago.

Where is the best place to stay now? I've heard the Holiday Inn has gone downhill (it used to be the hot spot), and that accomodations in general aren't very nice.

Any good food recommendations?

If we hit the Hole on Friday and Saturday (3 dives each), do you have any advice as to what time to be there to avoid the crowds, or any other strategic tips that would make our life easier?

Thanks!

I ususally stay at the Tower hotel, 505-472-3463. Not fancy, but clean -- though I haven't been there in almost two years, so hopefuly that hasn't changed.

I think it's room #1 I usually go for (whatever the number, it's the westernmost room in the West portion of the hotel), which is a room with two beds, and it has lots of room and storage behind the door. The one bed rooms are pretty tiny, so I'd just opt for a two bed room.

To get to Blue Hole, do not exit out onto the main drag, leave via the side exit, turning left on the road and when you hit the stop sign you should know exactly where you are.

As for timing. On Saturday sleep in a little and hit the 'hole during all the class' SIT (they get there early). From that point onward it's a roll of the dice. It should be pretty deserted Friday morning.

Roak

The Tower is pretty much OK, I was there two weeks ago. Stay on the side away from the main road. It's the one that is shaped like an "L". I got stuck on the one that faces the main drag AND the RAIL YARD across the street. I listened to trains coming through, and them coupling (talk about a huge BOOM). Tell them you are a diver and you get a better price.
I have hung my suits at the Sun and Sands hotel too. It's on the eastern side of town, another cheap dive..... No roaches at either hotel.
If you want a high end that usually sells the passes and offers discounts to divers, the LaQuinta is the place. It's on the East end of town on the hill in the NEW part of town. It's a bit past the McDonalds on the South side of the street. You can almost drop off the hill behind the hotel and dive into the hole off the cliffs.

We always stay at the Travel Lodge, 505-472-3494. They are not elegant, but are inexpensive, clean and cater to divers (e.g. indoor/outdoor carpet). You can buy your Blue Hole permit at their front desk (or could the last time I was there, in September).
To get there, take the second Santa Rosa exit (Exit 275) then turn right to go under the overpass, going uphill. Travel Lodge will be on your left, across from MacDonald’s.

I like the Mexican food at Comet II. From the Travel Lodge, go right, back under the overpass and they’re on your right after a half mile or so.

Hey Robert,

We stayed this last time (during the fundies) at the Travel Lodge. It was OK for the price. There are no 4 or 5 star hotel/motels there anyway, but you already knew that! LOL.

The LDS is booking rooms at the La Quinta these days and have expressed satisfaction on their rooms and service.

The Tower is for those times you stay with your dive buddies and not the wife! My wife would not be caught dead in a place like that! But it does work, and the beds are fine for a night or so.

First off, there are no *awesome* hotels in Santa Rosa.

The BEST hotel there is LaQuinta. They have some nice features, including a hot tub, indoor pool, and a locked gear room to store wet stuff. Their Breakfast is also VERY good, with make your own waffels, and a good bit of juice, fruit, ceral, begals, ect....

The downside if that you will pay $80+ a night for a hotel in a town where the average price is more like $50.

The Best Western actually has bigger rooms, and is good. However no the indoor pool, no hot tub, and the breakfast is ceral, very limited fruit, and donuts. Plan on spending about $50 a night. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms clean, the service good, and they have cable/HBO. Overall clean and comfortable, middle of the road.

I've heard the Tower is about the BEST cheap hotel in Santa Rosa. I'm going to see what that is like on my next visit. For $29 a night, if it has hot water, clean sheets, and a comfortable bed I really could care less about everything else. I'm there for one reason, and one alone..... diving.

As for food, well I've had much better, and I've had worst. Josephs is the best I've tried there (Mexican). The Denny's is what you expect in a Denny's. The restraunt at the truck stop makes a good breakfast.

Don't get your hopes up for a five star hotel, or fine dining. Santa Rosa would be a ghost town below poverty level if it were not for the truck stop, and Blue hole. As it is, the town seems to be hurthing with about 50% of the non tourists business boarded up.

Enjoy the Diving!!

I just went to Santa Rosa over the weekend (April 1-2) and stayed at the Super 8. The rate was $40.95 a night and the rooms were extra clean. They provide a good continental breakfast and it is right across the turn-off for the Blue Hole.

I dove there on Saturday morning early. There was quite a crowd early, however the water was still clear because the students had not stirred things up yet. They started getting in the water at the end of my dive and it got a little murky.

It was definitely a good little weekend trip! Good luck!

RonFrank:
As for food, well I've had much better, and I've had worst. Josephs is the best I've tried there (Mexican). The Denny's is what you expect in a Denny's. The restraunt at the truck stop makes a good breakfast.

Enjoy the Diving!!
Actually, the Lake City Diner isn't bad at all. It's small, and fills up fast, but the food is cooked to order and is pretty good. The best meals I've had in Santa Rosa! It's on the main drag and the Southwest corner of 4th Street I believe. Used to be the old bank.

Yup,
the Lake City Diner is a good one. Nice people.....
Joseph's was nice too, clean and friendly staff, the food was "good" & traditional Mexican - BLAND......... I like TexMex

The Tower has hot water, clean beds, no roaches, decent space to hang gear, nuker & fridge.

asta
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom