Santa Monica Pier Break Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are going to dive the Santa Monica Pier BREAKWATER. http://web.whittier.edu/fairchild/santa_monica.html Friday 22 October if the weather permits. Time for next Friday October 22 dive is yet to be determined, but could be an early morning before work dive at o'dark thirty. If interested let me know and also let me know if 5:30 a.m. would be too early.

This site has a photo of the breakwater as it originally appeared. Most of it does not break the surface. Please note, this we are NOT diving the pier but the breakwater that runs parallel to shore about 100 yards off the end of the pier and it does not touch dry land. I have eyeballed it and it appears to be about Deadman's Reef or a bit more in distance (300 yards), but could be as long as Pont Dume Pinnacles (548 yards). Did I mention this is a long swim? :11: This is a site that is really not well known and not really covered in the local dive site books. So come ready for an adventure diving a relatively un-dove site. I have exchanged messages with two people (Photo TJ and Don S) who have actually dove it. IF visibility is good (often not here) then it is an excellent dive. Lots of life on the reef I am told. Be sure to bring a cutting instrument (shears or sharp knife) as abandoned gill nets may be present on the breakwater.

How to get there: TGNO: 671E3
From anywhere except Malibu take 10 Freeway west exit onto 5th street, go north to Colorado Street turn right onto Ocean and turn left onto California Incline. Take the California incline and make a left onto PCH at the bottom of the hill. Get into the far right lane and stay there. Just before you go into the tunnel take the right lane and stay in the far right into the parking lot. Parking is $7.00 and no in and out. BRING MONEY FOR PARKING. Meet in the far corner away from the pier and closest to the ocean. We will enter here and swim out, figuring the current to drift us toward the pier and land on the South end of the breakwater. Then dive to the North end and to a drift dive back to land on the beach just short of the pier.

From Malibu take PCH South, just past the California Incline and just before the McClure tunnel stay in the far right lane, and just exit to the Santa Monica Beach Parking.

So is this happening next Fri or no?
I'm intrested.
In anything.

Last week I received word that an officer I trained last year was killed in action in Iraq. Today I was informed his funeral will be Friday the 22nd of October. Natually, I will be attending and that pretty much means I will not be diving Friday.

Perhaps another time.

pasley:
Last week I received word that an officer I trained last year was killed in action in Iraq. Today I was informed his funeral will be Friday the 22nd of October. Natually, I will be attending and that pretty much means I will not be diving Friday.

Perhaps another time.

Sorry to hear the news.
Condolonces to the family.

pasley:

Perhaps another time.
I'm sorry to hear about the officer you trained. I offer prayers and condolences to the friends and loved ones.

Given that some reports are saying that we'll have rain through much of Thursday, I don't imagine that Santa Monica is going to be a great place to dive on Friday. I'm sure that there will be better days to dive the breakwater.

I'm hoping that Laguna will be somewhat clear by Saturday, when Jim and I will be taking a look at Diver's Cove and Fisherman's Cove.

I look forward to diving the breakwater with you in the future. Hopefully, we won't be going at o'dark thirty. I teach IT classes until 10pm on some nights. Not being much of a morning person, I prefer not watching the sun rise (especially when it means getting up at 4am to get somewhere by 5:30). On the other hand, I'm OK with getting up at 4am to start moving when backpacking if it means avoiding hiking with a full pack in 110-degree heat. :wink:

Christian

headhunter:
...I look forward to diving the breakwater with you in the future. Hopefully, we won't be going at o'dark thirty. I teach IT classes until 10pm on some nights. Not being much of a morning person, I prefer not watching the sun rise (especially when it means getting up at 4am to get somewhere by 5:30). On the other hand, I'm OK with getting up at 4am to start moving when backpacking if it means avoiding hiking with a full pack in 110-degree heat. :wink:

Christian
Or a fresh lobster dinner? I agree there will be other days for the breakwater.

I wish I could dive with you Saturday, but this weekend is devoted to service. Friday to a fallen comrade and Saturday &n Sunday to service to my country.

pasley:

Perhaps another time.

The Elguezabal family sends you and the families our condolences, we will continue to pray for our highly missed troops and their safe return home.

Pasley, let us Know when you're ready to dive again.....

headhunter:
Given that some reports are saying that we'll have rain through much of Thursday, I don't imagine that Santa Monica is going to be a great place to dive on Friday. I'm sure that there will be better days to dive the breakwater.

Christian

I agree with Cristian, sewage leak in Santa Monica this week: "There is a beach closure 100 yards on both sides of the Pico-Kenter storm drain at Santa Monica Beach. This closure is the result of a sewage discharge" :11:

http://www.lapublichealth.org/beach/

Dive at your own risk.......or we can designate a new "toxic free" location :happy:

pasley:
Or a fresh lobster dinner? I agree there will be other days for the breakwater.

I wish I could dive with you Saturday, but this weekend is devoted to service. Friday to a fallen comrade and Saturday &n Sunday to service to my country.
For now, I'm just concentrating on my diving, which I still think is a little rusty, but improving. For now, I get my fresh lobster dinners at Gladstone's on PCH. :wink: I'll probably be up for the hunt again after the first of the year.

Thank you for your service.

You probably don't hear it enough, but you should know that a great many of us appreciate the sacrifice and effort many of you are making in the name of freedom.

Christian

:blush: Thank you. I and the soldiers serving around the world appreciate all your support. I will admit is it a nice to hear it once in a while and a nice change from when I started in 1972. MAJ Charles Soltes, gave it all. My prayers are with his family. He was a fine individual, father, husband and soldier. He will be missed.
While serving with pride and without complaint, I would ask you keep the troops in harms way your thoughts.

There is also a closure for 100 yards down beach from the Santa Monica Pier. So perhaps it is best to give that site a pass for now.

Under the catagory of life goes on, Weather permitting; I hope to get a dive in next week. I might be able to get on Friday night in Laguna after the funeral, but that time line is uncertain and so cannot be planned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom