Santa Monica Blue Fins Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LACounty4806

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello Fellow So Cal Divers. Was doing a little research on old dive clubs and I came across the Santa Monica Blue Fins. It was running up through the 80's and had folks like Bonnie Cardone and Greg Arsenault as officers. I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any anecdotes or background on this group? I can't find a thing on them and I obviously can't ask Sam Miller. Anything would help. I'm just looking for a little direction and/or traction. Thanks.

Hello Fellow So Cal Divers. Was doing a little research on old dive clubs and I came across the Santa Monica Blue Fins. It was running up through the 80's and had folks like Bonnie Cardone and Greg Arsenault as officers. I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any anecdotes or background on this group? I can't find a thing on them and I obviously can't ask Sam Miller. Anything would help. I'm just looking for a little direction and/or traction. Thanks.
Dale Sheckler would be my first stop:

"Dale Sheckler: Founder, California Diving News and Scuba Show

I recall early in our California Diving News and Scuba Show business (Bonnie) requested that I come and speak at the Santa Monica Blue Fins, a quite prominent dive club at that time. She was a key member and sat in the front row. While I was deeply honored to be asked to speak I was very nervous to be giving a presentation to somebody I held in such high regard. She was a true asset to the diving community and her passing is a big loss. She will be deeply missed."

Get in touch with Mark at California Diving News and he can give you Dale's contact info.

Also, here's a link about Bill Barada, who may have been the founder of the club:

A couple of more old salts to chase down are Bob Ballew and Don Paul (Long Beach Neptunes).

Thanks for the thoughts and direction. I don't know why I didn't think of Dale in the first place. It's a challenge finding institutional knowledge on people that were active in the 1970's I probably should try Rocky Stickel from Scuba Haus as well now that you've got me thinking about it.

Dale Sheckler would be my first stop:

A couple of more old salts to chase down are Bob Ballew and Don Paul (Long Beach Neptunes).

Maybe check with Grant Graves? He grew up in that era in the area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom