Santa Barbara Dive Conditions????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan:

I can't say for sure, but I live in Ventura and the water is the dirtiest I have ever seen it. There was a lot of runoff from the rain and there has been a huge swell. I doubt you will have good diving conditions this weekend.

To SoCal for better responses. Have you checked the swell map projections? Yikes! What does the captain of the boat say?

The LAguna Sea & Sports website listed the Shaws Cove conditions as:

Surf: 1 - 2 ft and Gooey
Surge: 3 - 4 ft
Visibility: -0

There is supposed to be a large swell heading this way as well, especially outside of Catalina. Check the wave forecast sites

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounds like Santa Barbara Island and San Clemente Island will be out for the weekend. How about Catalina??? I will check it out. I know that viz in Catalina was still pretty good last weekend, even with all of the rain.

Regards,

Jan

We were scheduled on the conception and got the call yesterday that the trip was canceled....I am thoroughly bummed !!!! I should have been diving right now and instead I had to work since I will use the vacation day some other time. I guess by me being here I am not getting much work done? haha

Monterey bay doesn't look promising this weekend either.

I was booked on the Conception trip too. I knew the sea was really rough up here but I thought Santa Barbara would be more protected. Some of the group I was driving down with went to Santa Barbara anyway; I doubt they'll dive this weekend though.

Originally Posted by scubasean

what, exactly, is "gooey" surf?

I am only quoting the experts at Laguna Sea Sports. Personally I would rather not find out first hand.

I checked with Truth Aquatics and they have another boat going out on the 16th & 17th of March.....the season ends on the 17th so it would still be a bug-hunt, as long as the weather doesn't mess things up again.

Aquagal: have you ever been to the Channel Islands before? This was going to be my first trip out there by boat.

Back
Top Bottom