Sandspur Reef Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkramer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone is interested but I was out to the red rocks off of Sandspur Beach & I thought I'd post a dive report. The water was absolutely beautiful today & the viz was great! I had been to the reef back in April after the first major red tide outbreak & was dismayed to find very little life. I am happy to report that things are changing for the better. We saw a lot of snapper, spade fish & some small gag grouper. There were 2 cow fish, a burrfish & a nice size angelfish. I was surprised to see the angelfish because I had never seen one on that reef before! There were also stone crabs everywhere. Unfortunately, not for the lack of looking, we did not see any lobster. I was glad to see the reef life begining to return. Let's hope the red tide does not.

Actually, from a guy who found the reef with his head (nearly literally) with Reefguy as his dive buddy.. this is great news! We had very poor visibility and have yet to see the reef in much more than a nav-dive. Perhaps the vis will hold out and we'll get an afternoon or early AM dive there sometime soon. :)

Thanks for the report! :D

Yup, we've seen the reef, 3" at a time.

I'd love to get out there when there's actually some vis, but will be unable until the weekend of the 27th.

LOL Yepper, I've done my share of "dive by braille" out there myself! Weather & water permitting, I'll probably be out there the weekend of the 27th myself. I'm easy to spot. I'm the one with the big, yellow kayak. There also is a manatee that has been hanging out in that area. Unfortunately he was in near shore while we were on the reef & we didn't get to see him but, the folks on the beach sure enjoyed it. I'm hoping to be lucky enough to spot him one of these days.

I was out at FMB this AM and the water was georgous! I even had a visit by a little bonnet head shark while in knee deep water with the bait fishes. Absolutely crystal clear in every direction.. Jeff, ya wana play hooky???

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom