Sand Eaters Dive on Sunday- Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Sandeaters has a dive scheduled for Nicholas Canyon,
Malibu this Sunday, Jan. 23 at 8am."

I have never participated in one of these but (as you may know) I will be in LA on Saturday (unless the approaching blizzard stops me) morning and am interested in doing this dive. Maybe I am wrong, but isn't that the area experiencing high levels of bacteria, with water that looks like chocolate milk? :06:

Also, is the email that gets sent out just an automated email? I would imagine these dives are planned long before current conditions are known. I would hate to drive all the way to Malibu to find an empty parking lot. Any thoughts? Anyone going? Thanks!

Even if folks do show up, you probably don't want to dive there this weekend. These dives are set up way in advance, so they had no way of knowing. I've seen them change at the last minute, so they may decide to go elsewhere.

I'm tentatively planning on diving on Sunday (depending on conditions), probably in Laguna Beach or maybe Palos Verdes, so if you want you're welcome to join us.

Yeah what he said. Sandeaters sets its schedule 6 month at a time.
Nicholas Canyon has a "meets standards" from the County Health Dept.
Heal the bay gives it an A+ rating, but the beach on both sides Leo Carrillo have an F grade. So, hmmm, if the beaches just east and west have F grades how can Nicholas have an A+ for the 4 weeks ending Jan 18.

Swell model is looking around 4 feet for the site too. Hmmm, think I will pass on that site its is Laguna or Palos Verde for me. We will be diving one place or the other conditions permitting.

Related, and yet not to diving. Lots of birds covered in oil between Port Hueneme and Huntington Beach, yet no oil floating on the water the experts can find. Very interesting. Wonder where it is coming from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom