Sanctuary vs. Cypress Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prodiver:

Those are pretty good photos......

Yeah, right now the Cypress Sea seems to be gaining because they offer Nitrox.

But the Sanctuary has lower numbers, so it doesn't feel like a cattle boat situation.

But Nitrox is an important consideration for me...

Shore diving means I have to haul an addional 40Lbs of weight for my 250lb dense frame. 10% + 10 (7mm)+ 5( AL80) not to mention the gear and the swim out.

Naw!! The thought alone makes me hate it....

Unless I intend upon losing some serious weight which is not in the forseeable future. (why should I, I'm in pretty good condition) It's boat diving if I'm going to do cold water diving at all.

If I really begin to enjoy cold water diving I'll invest in a DUI crushed neoprene dry suit.

However, I'm not really sure I'm going to fall in love with it yet. Let me try one of these boats and then we'll see how it goes.

It will make a weight difference whether you are diving with a one-piece jumpsuit plus hooded vest or a two-piece farmer john suit plus hood. For me (225lb), the difference works out that with the one-piece 7mm suit with hooded vest (7/3), I need 10lb less than with the two-piece 7mm farmer john with 7mm hood.

It will make a weight difference whether you are diving with a one-piece jumpsuit plus hooded vest or a two-piece farmer john suit plus hood. For me (225lb), the difference works out that with the one-piece 7mm suit with hooded vest (7/3), I need 10lb less than with the two-piece 7mm farmer john with 7mm hood.

I"ve got the Henderson 7mm two-piece farmer john wetsuit w/a Henderson 7mm hood.

I also picked up a boat coat last month in preparation so I should be covered in that department.

I'm going to purchase a Steel 119 so that might help me dump some weight as well. I want to use my own tank if I'm going to dive locally.

Another feature of the Cypress Sea is the possibility of being regaled by stories from Capt'n Phil (Phil Sammet) who usually has a good line in jokes, stories etc plus lots of diving experience.

I"ve got the Henderson 7mm two-piece farmer john wetsuit w/a Henderson 7mm hood.

I also picked up a boat coat last month in preparation so I should be covered in that department.

I'm going to purchase a Steel 119 so that might help me dump some weight as well. I want to use my own tank if I'm going to dive locally.

I'd be careful about the X8 119 steel because they are really heavy. I almost went with them for the xtra gas I would get but refrained and went with the two X7 100 steel's.

They are a lot more manageable in weight. I've been told you can't rid the weight between tanks, you'll make it up by the tank itself thus only removing weights off your BC or belt.

I tried carrying around the LP 95 which has the same dimensions as the X8 and I pulled away when compaired to the X7, go check it out; take in your BC to your LFS and load and lift each tank and walk around, you will see.

That is what I did.... before I made my choice...

MG

The X8 119 is 9lb heavier than the X7 100, so lugging it around, either to a fill station or on your back, will feel different. But if you look at the bouyancy characteristics of the two you'll find that they are negligibly different once you're in the water. The 119 is almost a pound more negative when full, and it is a half pound less negative when empty in comparison to the 100.

I dive with both of these tanks using the same weight and don't notice any difference. I especially like the 119 for boat dives and liveaboards where you bring a tank and they fill it. However the larger diameter may make it difficult to secure on some boats that have tank wells sized for smaller diameter cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom