San Salvador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharksighter

Reaction score
Has anyone been to San Salvador lately? I was wondering because I have read varying reports of the reef condition. What is the story on the Algae on the coral is that everywhere? We are thinking of going in Mid April and my wife can't take cold water. Thanks for any input.

THAD,

Was there (at RR) this past October (yep - not long after the storm passed right over top of her!), and I will be there from March 26th thru April 3rd (yippie!)

The reefs there are fantastic. You will soon discover that this is the jewel of the Bahamas if you like deeper diving with an abundance of sea-life (duh - is there anyone who doesn't want that?). I liken the diving at San Sal as the best of all the diving in the Carribean and Bahamas.
The water temps will be hovering right around 80f at the time of year you mentioned.

I can't say enough on how much fun you all will have. I higly recommend it. When you go, please don't forget to let you're DM Jean-Paul (Morales) know that Jim & Audrey (his "lil' dive buddy") said hi and that we told you all about how much fun would be waiting for you!

PM me if you have any specific questions that I can help with.

PS - I'd recommend that you rent scooters one day (the last) and take a tour of the island - esp. the north end.

Peace out,

Jim

jhelmuth:
THAD,

Was there (at RR) this past October (yep - not long after the storm passed right over top of her!), and I will be there from March 26th thru April 3rd (yippie!)

The reefs there are fantastic. You will soon discover that this is the jewel of the Bahamas if you like deeper diving with an abundance of sea-life (duh - is there anyone who doesn't want that?). I liken the diving at San Sal as the best of all the diving in the Carribean and Bahamas.
The water temps will be hovering right around 80f at the time of year you mentioned.

I can't say enogh how much fun you all will have. I higly recommend it. When you go, please don't forget to let you're DM Jean-Paul (Morales) know that Jim & Audrey (his "lil' dive buddy") said hi and that we told you all about how much fun would be waiting for you!

PM me if you have any specific questions that I can help with.

PS - I'd recommend that you rent scooters one day (the last) and take a tour of the island - esp. the north end.

Peace out,

Jim

Jim

I requested a reservation package on the phone doesn't look like they have on-line booking capabilty and they preferred a check to credit card. I am contemplating flying in 4/16 getting there at 3:30pm and leaving 11:50pm on 4/23 (Traveling from Michigan). Would you reccomend a stayover on Nassau 4/23 so I can dive 4/22 or will they let me dive. We both have computers I was thinking shallow dives 4/22 pm. What's the Shark prospects the week I am there?

Later and Thanks again,

Thad

PS - Ever been to SABA

Regarding the water temp, it should be in the upper 70s or at 80 degrees by then. The second best wall diving I have done (Little Cayman is first). You should have a great time.

carlislere:
Regarding the water temp, it should be in the upper 70s or at 80 degrees by then. The second best wall diving I have done (Little Cayman is first). You should have a great time.

Yes, I'd agree that it's a close 2nd to Bloody-bay walls (been there, got the t-shirt too). San Sal combines all of the best - wrecks, walls, etc. - all in one package. Because it's so remote and not over operated, the diving is just fantastic all around. RR is not the best for the land-based activities or accommodations. If that is what you want, find some other resort. But if diving is your thing, this is one spot you can't miss out on (and I dare say you'll become a frequent diver there once you've been there).

Peace out,

Jim

Hello,

Planning a trip to San Salvador this December. I have read so many great things about the diving there. We will be staying at the Club Med. Just wondering about transporting my gear and what if any weight or baggage limits there may be or problems anyone may have ran into while getting to the island.

Has anyone been there during December and if so what should I expect as far as the diving and what critters I may see this time of year?

Has anyone dove with Club Med and RRI and can give me a comparison?

Thanks!

If you love to see hammerheads go to San Salvador....saw them on every dive the whole week....awesome!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom