San Salvador, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpwrkK5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why don't more divers and clubs dive San Salvador? I've done about forty dives around San Sal and each one is world class, but I never see San Sal as a destination on any diveshop calenders. Anybody know why?

Sean

I agree with you about the quality of diving.

A couple of things put it out of the mainstream for most dive travelers, and more specifically, "dive clubs".

The air connections are problematic. It is easier for Europeans to get there than North Americans. The massive landing strip that accepts several weekly jumbo jets for Club Med from Northern Europe will prove that. For us North Americans, there are multiple connections and the prices are somewhat prohibitive.

The second bogey is the limited number of dive facilities available. I have been ashore on several liveaboard trips, but I can only name Club Med and Riding Rock Inn. I think that's it. RRI shows as a first rate dive operation that caters to serious divers of all ability levels. Club Med is what it is.

No dive club is going to go to Club Med- it is too expensive and not really all that dive oriented. If you're going that far and you want to dive, you'll look more logically at RRI.

Club trips are centered on deals. Dive shops that operate clubs usually suck up any comps so that their Instructors can go for free while they do their certifications in paradise... that's how they look at it. Being the only show in town, I don't know if RRI has any deals for group bookings, but it sure can't hurt to ask. they have some good deals right now at Specials - Riding Rock Resort and Marina but I would research more night dives being added.

Dive Clubs that are not shop operated might be more altruistic and plow the comps (freebies for larger numbers) back into the cost of the trip, shared by everyone. Problem is, nowadays, airlines aren't playing fast and loose with comps, certainly not the puddle jumper airlines that you might find flying out of Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport. Major carriers are squeezing, too. Used to be 1:6, last time I negotiated for a group it was 1:10 and that was some time back.

Dive clubs are very much so centered on price above all else. But first, you have to present serios name recognition, and most people think San Salvador is where the Coup was last week (or thirty years ago). It is 100x easier to sell a trip that has the words Cayman, Cozumel or some known entity. Dive Clubs rarely focus 99% on diving, but market diving as a drinking sport to some extent- look at their website images and find photos of late night festivities. I'm not saying that is bad, just that you really don't have that environment on San Sal.

Some people who are aware that San Salvador is part of the Bahamas have had previous dive experience in the more common destination island areas such as Nassau (Stuart Cove) or Freeport (Lucaya UNEXSO) and they base their opinion of the experience on that limited view. Their loss. I found the San Sal locals very inviting and happy to see us, welcoming us into their lives readily~ quite a difference a few miles make.

I'd say that we ought to keep this San Salvador thing quiet and quit mentioning it on the SCUBA discussion groups. You don't want another Carlos and Charlies being built, do you?

I would highly recommend San Salvador to serious divers of all levels- those who are ready to step beyond the need for the earthly delights of other more "inviting" neon lit islands. If you want to dive nice environments, sunbathe or drink beer in a quiet shack, San Salvador is first rate.

Specials - Riding Rock Resort and Marina

Also, for groups, we can many times arrange a special charter out of Nassau if the scheduled Bahamas air flight doesn't work for the group to travel in one day. It costs about the same as the Bahamas Air flight. There is also a Saturday to Saturday charter flight out of Fort Lauderdale.

Very neat place for divers. Hammerheads yipee!

Disclaimer. I work for the company that is their US Reservations office. If you call, you just might get me so take whatever I say with a grain of sand :)
although I'm known for telling it like it is.

Pam

Thanks Roatanman. Very informative post.

Riding Rock could use a few more divers right now though.

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom