San Pedro dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My girlfriend and I just booked a week long dive package at Ramon's in April. A good friend of mine said the reef diving off San Pedro is fine but nothing spectacular. I am planning on diving the local reefs for the first 2 days, maybe 6 dives and then get out to the further sites.

My girlfriend just got her OW last month in Turks and Caicos so I am concerned about her doing the BH dive. I have dives down to 120+ feet with my camera so 130 -140 doesn't worry me but after reading some of the comments here we probably won't do it. I'm primarily interested in the other two dives at Half Moon Caye and Long Caye, I hear they are great dives. I'm wondering if its possible to dive BH and instead of heading down, say off to the side? Are the two other dives worth the high price and long boat ride?

thanks
Ken

I know you can snorkel at the BH because we've always had a few snorkelers on my trips there. I don't think you would want to dive off to the side, though, as I don't think there's much to see besides a lot of mud, maybe a few sharks and the lip of the hole.

Are the other dives worth the price and the long boat ride? That's so subjective it's hard to answer for someone else but I'd say yes. Just the ride from the BH to Half Moon Caye and the caye itself are worth the price of admission, imho. The other two dives are like icing on the cake.

I should disclose that the three times I've done the trip I was staying at Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort, so the boat ride each way was only about an hour. But I enjoy riding in boats, yakking it up with the other divers and crew and checking out the scenery.

I just booked a dive trip to Caye Caulker- we are using Belize Diving Services. They do a modified dive to BH if you have under 25 dives, it's not to the 130 ft. depth but gives you a good look. Included that day, are the dives to Half Moon Caye and Long Caye I believe. Check out their website, super easy to find.

I just booked a dive trip to Caye Caulker- we are using Belize Diving Services. They do a modified dive to BH if you have under 25 dives, it's not to the 130 ft. depth but gives you a good look. Included that day, are the dives to Half Moon Caye and Long Caye I believe. Check out their website, super easy to find.

BDS takes OW down to 70-80ft. They hop in first, and get out of the way of the rest of the divers, and make it back 30-40 minutes later as they're just getting out of he water.

There isn't much on the wall, but there are some larger fish, lobsters and such hanging out.

Also gives OW divers experience without a hard bottom, as most of the walls in Belize start around 70 feet.

BRad

I've done the Blue Hole trip 40+ times as a DM the down side is 5:30 am departure and 2-3 hours to get there, if the sea is rough it can be a brutal trip and you'll spend 300.usd or more to go.
The second dive of the day Halfmoon Caye may be the best dive site on the planet. Is it worth it?
Humm do you like diving?

The dive sites at Halfmoon or Lighthouse may be the best in Belize, but are far from the best on the planet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom