San Pedro / Ambergris Caye Restaurant guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_dodge

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gearing up for my second trip to Ambergris Caye later this year. My first trip was my honeymoon so my wife and I ate mostly at the resort we were staying at. For this trip though, we've opted for a hotel in town versus a full-fledged resort.

One of our fellow ScubaBoard-ers who I believe is an ex-pat living in Cozumel put together an awesome dining guide for Coz and includes a lot of the less touristy places.

We've used this site to help pick our dining options for our Cozumel trips and love the insider's perspective. Is there anything similar for San Pedro?

If not, are any of you frequent visitors to the island willing to share your favorite places or hidden gems? We're staying on the north end of town but are planning to have a golf cart. We're also not against paying the toll to go across the bridge or take a water taxi.

Thanks in advance.

El Fogon -- well executed local cuisine with good service & attention to detail. Within pitching distance of the airport 'terminal'.

Dueling pupusa joints:
Pupuseria Salvadoreno -- faster service, a little more grubby (and hot) inside, enormous portions of lobster & conch burritos
Wuruguma -- nicer look (bright & clean), slower service, more popular

Lick's is my favorite place for Breakfast and surface intervals. Its right near Island Divers. Estelles is good for breakfast or lunch too. It is right between the park and Lick's. For a fancy dinner, we like Blue Water Grille, Wild Mangoes, and Elvi's. For an inexpensive dinner, The Reef, Papusaria Salverdoreno, Palapa Bar. Pirates Treasure is fun if the bugs aren't bad. Do not go there if it is wet or calm. Legends Burger Bar is fun if you are north of the bridge. Travelling to Rojo (way up north) for dinner and drinks is fun. It has great atmosphere. The new restaurant at Wet Willy's has good barbeque. We enjoyed it while watching the eagle rays feed in the lights under the dock.

Wild Magoes is owned by CIA trained Chef Amy Knox. It is very creative and fresh. On the beach

Blue Water Grille is nice, clean and has a mix between creative and local foods. On the beach

Elvi's is the oldest restaurant on the island and serves traditional local and mayan dishes in an upscale way. Friday is a Mayan Buffet which is interesting and good. On Middle Street

Licks has a set breakfast and lunch menu. The dinner menu is driven by what is available and is written daily. Extremely fresh food here. Chef Mario is classically trained and, Ontario and is a friendly guy. On the Beach

Any of those places is worth having a reservation for dinner.

I prefer El Fogon for lunch as the dinner menu is expensive for what they serve. It can be pretty hot back there. It is a little hard to find. Ask a local for help.

The street food in the park is fun and safe. Do not be in the park after about 9pm as is stops being a nice safe place around then.

For a quick breakfast, we like Celi's Deli on the front street across from the Holiday Hotel near Island Divers.

I like to eat and I like San Pedro, let me know if you have any other questions. I am there a few times a year.

On the North part of the Island there is a new chef at 'O' the restaurant at Las Terrazas nextdoor to Journeys End. pretty amazing food and gorgeous romantic setting.

Whats the latest on Colleen? People told me they went up there a couple of weeks with a reservation and she was sitting at a table and told them she was closed and couldn't serve them.

Check out the restaurant section at Welcome to Belize! Ambergris Caye Island Vacations . It's generally up to date but I've seen a few openings/closures that haven't been included. I've had wonderful meals in surprising hole-in-the-wall places. You can find everything from dirt cheap to over the top. My favorites are Island Secret (Lebanese), El Fogon (local), Mesa Cafe, Ruby's Cafe (Breakfast), Celi's Deli (Breakfast), and so many more.

One of our fellow ScubaBoard-ers who I believe is an ex-pat living in Cozumel put together an awesome dining guide for Coz and includes a lot of the less touristy places.

Sounds like a job for Chilly!

Back
Top Bottom