San Marcos River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsnowden

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been wanting to diving up at the San Marcos river and try to catch one of these "eels" that exisit there on camera. Being in SA, San Marcos is just down the road. Any one have any sugestions where a good the the best place to drop in and come out on the river?

I have spent a l;ot of time diving the river but have never seen eels anywhere except in the lake. But I have heard of folks seeing them under the dam.

Probably the easiest place to start is the City Park (also known as the Lion's Club Park) and drift down to the Rio Vista Dam at Rio Vista Park (555 Cheatham Street) by the San Marcos River Pub. The Lion's Club Tube rental has a River Taxi service that shuttles tubers back to City Park for a couple of bucks, this is the service to use unless you do a two vehicle shuttle. As far as any eels I haven't seen any.

Ditto on the entry (Lion's Club) and exit (Rio Vista dam) points. Never seen any eels, but plenty of other stuff. Might try a night dive, since eels are probaly more nocturnal and there's less river traffic (tubers) at night. When do you plan on going?

I have seen an eel or two under the dam at Joe's Crab Shack, but the majority that I have seen was upstream from the IH35 bridge.

I understand that volunteer divers associated with Aquarena Center have been asked to help with a San Marcos River cleanup effort. Since they've been so successful in getting the hydrilla out of Spring Lake, city officials would like help in getting the weed out of the river as well. Any info on this?
Does anyone have interest in getting some divers together for a project such as this? I'm up for it if ya'll are!

I'll be around those parts the first two weeks of July if anyone is interested in a dive or two.

Regards,

RKM <><

I am not that familiar with the area but have a question. Exactly where does the "city" part of the river end and the state part start? I am interested in cleaning up the river of tilapia but it is not allowed in the city part or so I hear.

Back
Top Bottom