San Marcos River Cleanup March 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cleaning and disinfecting equipment is a step many people forget about but has a huge impact on the ecosystems. There are countless instances in marine environments. Even in San Marcos, fish like tilapia and grass carp are actually considered detrimental to the ecosystem and have official regulations that say you must gut them immediately if you catch them. (Except in areas where they are using triploid grass carp, dont kill the triploid grass carp).
So if you are in poking distance to one while cleaning up the river, help clean the gene pool too. I do every time I'm spearfishing. I'll throw them in with all my other fish then take them out and feed 'em to the buzzards. But if it is a tilapia I'll definitely take it.

TPWD: General Fishing Rules for Fresh and Salt Waters

And this one has some links to look into...
Exotic Fish, Shellfish and Invasive Aquatic Plants

I thought there are no spears allowed in the river inside the city limits.:confused:

I thought there are no spears allowed in the river inside the city limits.:confused:

No, there aren't so dont jump in with one. I keep forgetting that I live outside the city limits and I'm used to the broader rules. I've talked to game wardens who patrol the river ever so often about the rules and the ETJ to see if it was ok, they told me I could. They said they would be more concerned with me shooting game fish than having it in the ETJ. I'll ask again next time because the guy didn't seem to take me seriously once he realized I actually read the outdoor annual for fishing regulation updates, carry my license and usually go for non-game fish regardless of method.

Now I see why that would be very alarming.

Sorry, I'll watch my wording more closely to prevent confusion.

I talked with Justin the other day and he will have the vinegar wash set up that weekend for those who want to dive the lake after the clean up.

Back
Top Bottom