San Juan PR?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy....anybody got any info on dive possibilities for San Juan PR....have a conferance to attend the second week in June...and was hoping to get some diving in :)

I would advise that you get away from San Juan! There's some great diving off the Southwest side of the island.

Check out this previous thread:
Diving SW Puerto Rico

Just do a search on San Juan, you should come up with a hit. I know I posted a dive shop located in San Juan a while back. Nothing great, but if your short on time it gets you wet!

IMO the diving is much better on the west coast. I lived in Ramey Base USCG station and dove all over the Island and the west coast is the the best spot. There are many dives shops in the area and one of the best places to dive is walls and reefs off La Parguera and Desecheo Island. Also Shacks underwater caverns in Isabela is a lot of fun. If you like bug hunting, PR is the place. There are good dive spots around Fajardo on the east coast, but IMO not as good as the west. Hope this helps.

http://www.worldiver.com/location/properators.html

forget san juan. there is good diving in the west. la parguera divers has good reviews in undercurrent. they may even take you to mona island which supposedly is virgin diving.

Hi there,

I lived on PR for many years. As far as diving, stay away from San Juan. As others have stated there is good diving on the Southwest coast. La Parguera is a good spot, plus you can take advantage of the Bioluminescent Bay. Desecheo Island has amazing spots. Nice reefs and a lot of marine life. Careful around the Northwest coast (Aguadilla). Beautiful beaches but a lot of strong currents (surfers paradise).

I agree with the ratings on the North coast, Isabela. Lots of cavern to explore.

If you have the time you may want to try Culebra Island, which is off the east coast. Is a couple of hours drive from San Juan, but your hotel may arrange a trip for you.

Mona Island is virgin diving. Hoever, die to the strong currents is considered advance diving only.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay in Puerto Rico!!

love4steel:
guys/gays,

thank you kindly for the warm welcome and useful info!

Coquito,
I am diving on the Rorqual to Mona, etc in 3 weeks. I will be staying over Sat Night in San Juan. Any places you highly recommend to see, or stay away from?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom