San Jose Flipper Dippers Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone a member of the San Jose Flipper Dippers Club? I plan on attending the meeting this month and hoped to find a friendly person to sit with.
I am newly single from a non-diving spouse, and believe it or not, actually have more money to dive with, now that I'm not supporting him!
I need to get involved in a hobby I enjoy, without HIM, and thought joining a club would help me find a regular dive buddy with which to go out on a regular basis with.

Besides the Flipper Dippers--and I'm not sure how active they are--there is a club associated with Diver Dan's which is quite active. Here in Monterey, we have the Sea Otters, which meets once a month and has two club dives each month. It is very easy to find a buddy for the club dives. A few years ago, when I had the time, I used to belong to Amigos del Mar (in San Jose), and that was a reasonably active group. I'm not sure if that is still the case, however.

In short, if you just make yourself known you will find it is not hard to find dive buddies. Check out the threads here on Scubaboard about the "Meet and Greet" events, for example.

Bruce

We organize Meet & Greets here at least a few times a year. Lately it seems that it's been one per month. Along with that, a few of us don't mind taking a newbie to different spots or out on the boat. Just let us know and someone will likely help you out.

We organize Meet & Greets here at least a few times a year. Lately it seems that it's been one per month. Along with that, a few of us don't mind taking a newbie to different spots or out on the boat. Just let us know and someone will likely help you out.

Thank you dannobee. I checked out the list of dive clubs from Chuck Tribolet and man, there is a club in every area of the state!
I will try out the flipper dippers on the 19th, and then the Dive Club from Diver Dan's for their next meeting.
I won't be a newbie if I could get a regular buddy! :D

You might try posting a new thread stating when you would like to dive, where, and ask if anyone wants to join you. I think you will find several people willing, depending on the dates.

Another Valley-based dive club is affiliated with Aquatic Discovery in San Jose. They don't do meetings, but, if I recall correctly, they do a Monterey night dive every week or two and a daytime dive once or twice a month. Usually some of the shop DMs and Instructors go along and, I expect, would be more than happy to assist someone new to Monterey diving.

If you attend Flipper Dippers or any other club meeting, consider telling us what you think of them. I've heard some clubs focus on a particular interest such as hunting, skin diving or even warm-water diving.

Hi there, I'll be trying to get as much dives out of Monterey. Joined the last Meet & Greet and it was great! Can't wait for the next one. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as hooking up with a buddy. I'll be planning to go out 2nd and 4th weekends if possible; depending on conditions of course. Get to know the Breakwater more and maybe Lover's Point next. Keep me in mind if you want to go out and hopefully others will join.

Good info there Eric, I'll check it out myself. Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. My plan is to dive with a DM I hired this Sunday in Monterey, attend the Flipper Dipper's club meeting on the 19th and hopefully find a buddy there to dive with on the 23rd. Sunday's are always better for me as my son plays hockey on Saturdays.
He's almost 14, but only weighs 71 lbs. :( A bit too small to carry gear and would most likely have to buy him a custom wetsuit, then he'll hit puberty, then I'll have to buy him another wetsuit...For sure I'll get him into diving when he's big enough to carry both our gear, lol.
For anyone interested in diving every/any Sunday between now and October, please PM me.

Thank you dannobee. I checked out the list of dive clubs from Chuck Tribolet and man, there is a club in every area of the state!
I will try out the flipper dippers on the 19th, and then the Dive Club from Diver Dan's for their next meeting.
I won't be a newbie if I could get a regular buddy! :D
I have a group of people that are diving/camping on the north coast the weekend of August 21st, if you are interested in meeting some single, and not so single divers. Some of the divers I met from the singles dive club I belong to, and others from meeting them on here or different forums. Good group of people, so PM if you are interested in joining us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom