San Francisco early Sept.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sara!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. Greetings from Asia.

I will be in the US Aug - Sept for about two and a half week (the period is still open) visiting relatives in New York City, Boulder, and San Francisco. I was wondering if I could slot in couple divings on the go.. Did a bit of homework and a riend from SF recommends a dive shop in Monterey that offers a day trip with two tank dives. However, before I hit the purchase button thought I'd better throw couple questions to this great forum and see if there are more options to consider:

Is Monterey indeed a best choice in the area to dive? I really want to dive with seals, sea lions, or otters (we don't have them here!)
Any recommendation for longer trip in the area, perhaps 2-3 days liveaboard?
Is it recommended to take one of those whale tour during the first two weeks of Sept?
How about New York and Boulder, any chances for diving there as well?
Are there any diving related events during that period that I may want to visit? Talk in local diving club? Exhibitions?

I am pretty new in diving, but have been addicted to it since getting my cert three years ago. I have PADI divemaster cert with +300 dives, all done in warm Southeast Asia water. Ideally I would like to experience something different from what I am used to (kelp, sea lions.. fresh water maybe?), but preferably without the need to take any course. As I have never dived in this part of the world, single travelers, and am not licensed to drive, I would need to dive with a dive centre so that I will have a divemaster as my buddy, get logistic sorted, and can rent most of the equipment (I plan to take computer and regs only).

Thanks a lot in advance for any thought on this. Really looking forward to visiting the US for the first time, and of course, getting to dive as well!

Cheers,
sara!

Yes, Monterey is the place to dive around here. Not much diving around San Francisco.

Our water temps are about 50 degF, or 10 degC. They'll outfit you with much thicker neoprene than you're used to, along with more weight.

Seals, sea lions and otters? We have so many, you'll get tired of looking at the first two. You'll only see otters on the surface though. They tend to shy away from divers.

Not usually any liveaboards in our area; only day boats. Ask to go to Carmel rather than staying in the bay. The diving is more colorful and vis is usually better.

You can usually spot some whales in September.

Dunno about any diving related activities going on then. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I agree with the above, but want to add;

It'd be a good idea to work in at least one shore dive before going out on a boat. That way you can work on weighting and getting used to carrying a lot more gear before jumping into deep water. The Breakwater would be a good place for that.

All the Monterey boats are good operations.

Check out this website for information on Monterey diving for new or visiting divers. http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html

Bravo for hiring your own DM for a new environment !!

If you can dive during the week, I would recommend doing a couple of dives with a DM/Instructor at Point Lobos State Park just South of Monterey in Carmel. The entry and exit are fairly easy and chances of good vis is far better.

Don't you guys think you should warn him about the difficulty of cold water diving / probable poor viz as opposed to the warm water he is used to? Just asking.

- Bill

She is a DM with 300 dives and wants to dive with a local DM on a guided dive. Once she gets her weighting correct, she should be fine. The vis in September is usually pretty good, especially in Carmel (Shore diving Point Lobos or off of a boat in Carmel).

Thanks dannobee, fisheater, and Peter_C for all of your input.
fisheater: the link is very useful!
Yes, most likely it will be week days dives, and will request for Point Lobos diving weather (and all other condition) permitting.
Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom