San Diego trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letsgo1

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be heading to San Diego in October for a wedding and I would like some recommendation on a dive site and places to dive. I've got 10 dives under my belt. Any help would be appreciated. thank BL

Try any of the boats down there but go for ones going out to kelp beds. The wrecks are pretty deep and it isn't recommended that someone with just 10 dives do them. There's shore diving a La Jolla Shore but that's probably not a good idea either, it gets deep fast and you have to surface swim a lot. Maybe La Jolla Cove?

October can be nice conditions. But with only 10 dives it is going to be a challenge. Perhaps work with one of the boats like the Marissa (Marissa Dive Charters Home Page) and find an easy dive like the kelp beds, then pay for the boat to provide a private guide for the day. Be open and honest about your experience and they will set you up with someone appropriate for you.

If you can get more dives in between now and October, especially some deeper dives, some of the wrecks could be within your grasp. However, there's a lot to be said about socal diving that's not wrecks as well.

Like Jim said, be honest about your training and level of diving. There's absolutely no shame in wanting to do a shallower dive....in fact, it's much preferred over the alternative (going past your comfort/training level).

When October does come around, have fun! I'm sure you will like socal diving :D

The Cove is shallow. Many of the kelp dives off the local charters (I recommend the Marissa) are also in shallow waters. I'd stick to those options.

thanks alot, this has been useful. I'll look into the Marissa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom