San Diego Shore access on military bases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of why I was wondering about North Island was because I read about a lobster research study. Apparently, there's a pretty good population of lobster off North Island. Since we plan to do some bug hunting, I'm hoping that we might be allowed to access some not normally hunted areas.
I think I can get a free or cheap bug license with my 100% disability rating. Even without, I sure wouldn't want to miss out on bug hunting since we're in San Diego at the beginning of bug season!
Plus, we're staying at the North Island military lodge. The beach there is awesome. They allow campfires and it would be utterly romantic to have a lobster roast on the beach!
We were married at North Island and stayed at the Lodge. The night before our wedding we had a wonderful campfire with the whole wedding party. Brings back great memories!

---------- Post Merged at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:43 PM ----------

La Jolla Shores is great for night diving. All the cool critters come out at night there.

Last year, the squid spawned in December, though I did see squid eggs at the Hogan last weekend.

Lobster season begins next weekend :) You can get out-of-state fishing licenses.
We will have to hit La Jolla shores at night, for sure!

I'm heading to Coronado Island for a medical conference. Staying at North Island. Wondering about any shore access for diving on the local bases?
Would like to avoid the local crowds if there is any on-base diving.
Also, does North Island have a place to get air fills?
We're bring all of our tanks, would like to have convienantly located fills, if possible.

While you are in San Diego, give LaJolla Cove a try..... there is a kelp forest not too far off shore.

Adam

While you are in San Diego, give LaJolla Cove a try..... there is a kelp forest not too far off shore.

Adam

Just keep in mind that La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove are in the marine protection area and are strictly no take zones - with or without a license. Keep your lobstering activities elsewhere.

+1 on Marissa charters

When I was in the Canadian Navy we had a military scuba club and would often host personnel from other bases/countries with local diving. If you will be a guest at a military base they will have a base services office that will likely be able to put you in touch with such a group.

Just keep in mind that La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove are in the marine protection area and are strictly no take zones - with or without a license. Keep your lobstering activities elsewhere.

VERY true, mathauk!!
Take only pictures, leave nothing behind!!

Adam

Hey, all. I'm here on Coronado right now. I'd like to drive out to Point Lomas and see if I can access the shore on the military base. Has anyone ever dived there?
I also read a study about SD lobsters which looks like a bunch of the tagged lobsters were right off of North Island. Wondering if diving off the beach, on that rock jetty might be worthwhile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom