San Carlos/Sea of Cortez diving info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still laughing about Aztinman's description of Gary's boats.
Slow is an understatement.
Last time out with them, I commented to one of the crew about the odd noise (twin diesel boat). "Only one engine sir". He even opened the hatch to show me.
Apparently they cannibalized that vessel to keep another running.
Whenever my daughter and I outbound on a dive boat, she always remarks "you remember that slooow boat in San Carlos?" Our last trip there was 6-7 years ago. Their fish taco SI lunch was good though.
We found ourselves bouncing betwwen El Mar and Garys to catch a boat that had enough people to go. El Mar is top notch.
I did quite a bit of shore diving there. Brought my tanks down and got fills at El Mar.
We stayed at a condo in Playa Blanca...very nice.
Lots of good times there.

Well Getto, at least the one engine on Gary's boat wasn't on fire. Was it their red boat?

A few years ago, we were on a trip out to Isla San Jorge twenty-nine miles south of Puerto Penasco, Sonora. The trip out to the sea lion rookery on the island had been uneventful. About halfway back, my wife directed my attention to the large black cloud of smoke that was pouring out of the stern of the boat. I got the captain's attention and the crew dealt with one of the engines that was on fire. We limped in on the remaining engine.

I've made more trips to the Isla San Jorge rookery on that same boat. Whenever I'm on that boat, I pay particular attention to what's happening on the stern.

El Mar and Ocean Sports really have good San Carlos dive boats and crews.

-AZTinman

We chartered one of Gary's tourboats once to go look for the HH's on a private charter. I never thought to question if both engines were working...lol

It was slow but a smooth ride. The previous day we'd been out on a smaller sportfisher for the same thing but it got tossed around the entire trip out - several of my friends were sick by the time we made the crossing.

On our trip Gary's crew made ceviche for lunch.

missed the HH's by a week, El Mar found them the next weekend.

This is such and interesting thread..

When I first dove SCB in 1956 it was totally devoid of civilization- a few Mexican fisherman's shacks and absolutely nothing at the end of the road.

Then civilization arrived...
SDM

Sam Miller, Harbinger of Civilization!

:D

I recall a story about Buffalo Bill Cody...

His young son passed away with Yellow fever

Buffalo Bill inquired "What is Yellow fever ?"
the response was a disease of civilization

Bills reply was "Civilization!" with much disgust in his voice.

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom