San Carlos/Sea of Cortez diving info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got invited to go with a local buddy of mine to dive with some buddies of his that live in LA. We are all meeting in Tucson and driving down to San Carlos to dive March 8 - 10.

My buddy here has not been before. I believe the guys in LA have, but I don't know them (yet), so...

Can any of y'all give me an idea of what kind of bottom temps I should be prepared for? I need to figure out if I'm taking my drysuit or diving wet.

It is my understanding that the guys we're meeting are very experienced. So, I'm guessing if there are deeper or more challenging dives around there, we'll probably hit them.

Surface weather conditions I should expect? Should I plan to take my Surf-Fur parka to use on the boat rides?

My buddy said he thinks they don't even have Nitrox there. Is that correct?

Is there anywhere there that I can rent doubles, or do I need to plan on single tank? If single tank is my only option, does anyone there rent steel tanks, or is it all AL80s?

I'm not even attempting to take my CCR. I'm told some of the guys we're meeting dive CCRs, but none of them are bringing them on this trip. Not sure if that is because of logistics or just not worth it for the anticipated dive profiles. Regardless, I will be the New Guy of the group, so I'm not going to be the odd man out.

And, since I'm posting anyway, any idea of what kinds of stuff I might see while diving there? Sea Lions? Hammerheads? Whale Sharks? White, Bulls, or Tigers?

Thanks!!

Most of the dive shops in Tucson take their students there for checkout dives. Call up one of the local shops and ask. 72 Aquatics is one, The Dive Shop is another.

I found El Mar Dive Center online that is, apparently, in San Carlos. Their site lists fill prices for CCR cylinders, including trimix options. And a rental price for double 120s and AL40s.

I emailed them. If they can rent me cylinders for my rEvo and sell me sorb, I might just take it, instead of diving OC. How quickly I'm willing to sell myself out! LOL :D I don't wanna dive OC! Waah!

I'll find out from them as well about bottom temps. But, websites I found say that March should be in the 63 - 65F range. And air temps in the 60s by day and 40s at night.

I've dove in San Carlos but not lately.
And El Mar - in Mesa is my home shop.

First thing - leave the rRevo at home. El Mar in Mesa supports technical diving, has mixed gas fills etc. Their San Carlos shop is a satellite shop with only rec gas fills/tanks afaik - it's all we see there. If you got lucky one of the tech instructors from Mesa might be down that weekend with gas/sorb but I really doubt it..

In March you're still going to be diving cold. It really doesn't heat up till summer - actually stays warm into late fall. It's hard to predict where the thermocline will be but we see it around 60' or so. Below it expect temps in the low 50's - above it. In March water temps will be in the low 60's up to the mid70's

El Mar keeps Piesquita in San Carlos, 722 Diving keeps Ocean Spirit there also. The 3rd option is Gary's Dive shop - who has one big dive boat and will also charter some of their smaller boats - converted tour boats - ie not dive specific but they have a ladder. Most diving is recreational at shallower depths since they get a lot of cert. divers from the AZ shops weekends. You obviously don't need a DM but the chartering group on your boat will provide one.

If you did want to find something technically deeper - it's there but you'd have to charter a boat for the 4 of you - and it wouldn't be a dive boat - just a local looking to make a few bucks. And you'd be on your own - the crew will help you board but that;'s about all they can do. We did it once. I think it was $600 for the day.

Most dive trips go to San Pedro Nolasco island - depending on boat speed - around an hour from the harbor. Fairly dramatic diving - lots of rock ledges extending into the water but not a lot of depth. There is a sea lion rookery there and they love to play - As soon as you splash - so do they and will be in your face in the water. Leave the snorkel on the boat if you want to keep the attached mask. They also like shiny things - I often have one or more "pose" in my video port.

There's one wreck I know of but it's pretty beat up and often not the best viz there. There's a submarine canyon south of SPI but you'll have to find someone that knows the GPS numbers - the regular dive boats don't go there since most of their customers are rec divers.

Scalloped (smaller) Hammerheads school there in October - it's a guessing game among the shops to pick the weekend. Other than that - you won't see one all year.

There's a video on Youtube showing an Orca playing in the boat wake as they're heading back to San Carlos from SPI - it's deeper water so they won't stop to dive there. Almost every time the dolphins will show up as you motor by in that area.

There's also a few shore dive options off San Carlos but I have never done that.

Expect a rocky substrate, the few corals there are mostly small puddles, some greenery. Often we see octopus, always sea lions and there's a Cortez Angelfish. The majority of the fish are the eating kind though.

I claim to have seen a big nurse shark there once - my friends think I was seeing things. No proof since I was solo - and had already shut down my video camera.

Town is smaller - it's an ex-pat community. The place most divers stay is Marina Terra - a larger hotel that used to be something else. It's right on the marina all the dive boats leave from - you can walk to them with gear - we do. Wifi in the lobby.

Should you want to shore dive, El Mar SC will rent you tanks - I believe Gary's will also. Both in town about 10mins. from Marina Terra. The other place one of the dive shops books is the Best Western in town - we eat at their restaurant occasionally. There's also 4-5 food options within walking of Marina Terra - there's a small outdoor plaza a couple blocks away. We eat at the Mexican food place there. Marina Terra also has a beach club about 1/2 mile away - they'll take you there by golf cart on request.

Some of the upstairs rooms at MT are actually 3br apts. - my friends unit had a kitchen. There's a small food store within walking distance.

I rent a condo from an agent whose office is at Marina Terra along the front of the building - he's not affiliated with them but rents condos on property that have use of the facilities. I lost his contact info but this is one of the units - SAFE PRIVATE CONDO on MARINA + 2 POOLS & BEACH - Condominiums for Rent in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Marina Terra has a dockside restaurant but some afternoons they cater to senior tour groups so you can be sitting there when the bus pulls up and the place is suddenly full.

San Carlos is a sleepy little town so don't expect much. Lot's of Pharmacia's since that's what the seniors are doing there. There's a golf course but I have not seen it. There's also some condo development along one of the beach areas but those are a drive to the harbor. Average water temps and most other things here: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Guaymas is reasonably close also - I flew in there once from Phoenix. Cab to the hotel cost me $25.

It's a fairly long drive from Tucson - although the airport is on the south side so that saves a little time - hopefully your friends know not to cross at Nogales (long lines). We go through a lesser station at Lukeville and the officer usually just waved us through. The road on the Mx side is a divided hwy and surprisingly good - also the greenshirts patrol it if you have a breakdown.

Oh, and leave the CCR at home. I’ve been hassled on the Mexican side just taking tanks with air fills across the border. The last thing I’d want is a 10k investment being yoinked by someone with a badge.

Is it rare? Yep, absolutely. But still not worth the risk of getting a unit confiscated for “untaxed importation.”

You wanna cross at Naco or Sasebe or Sonoyta. Nogales is too busy and Agua Prieta is too far east. Wrong direction.

Stop in Tucson at El Molinito or Mi Nidito for some good Sonoran style Mexican food. Hit up El Guero Canelo (or BK’s if you’re a loser) and try a Sonoran hot dog. Stay away from Nico’s. You’ve gotta build up a tolerance to that stuff otherwise you’ll ruin your trip.

@Stu

Very interesting posts

Over the years I have had a certain amount of vested interest in San Carlos bay-- a lot of changes have transformed since it was thrust into the recreational diving spot light in 1955- good gosh 64 years ago.

In 1955 Ernesto Zarazota a wealthy Guaymas business man/spearfisherman promoted the first and last " Inner American/ Mexican Spearfishing meet" American spearfishing teams from SoCal competed against the local Mexican teams.

The American teams won the meet in every category - The Douglas Air Craft team composed of late Howard Patton and John Gaffney won top honors. It was the first and last Spearfishing meet promoted by Ernesto..

Howard lost his life in a diving accident a few years later. John was the driving force and founder of NASDS, the National Association of Skin Diving Schools, published two dive magazine Aquarius and Dive and was responsive for the creation of the VIP program.

In 1955 I was an a USAF officer stationed at Luke AFB near Phoenix. One of my fellow officers was Christopher "Kit" Horn who while a UCLA had been employed by Rene Bussoz at Rene's sporting goods which became US Divers and now Aqua Lung. so he was well connected and very knowledgeable

We decided to construct CO 2 powered Spears based on the Barada design and were joined by 3 other airmen who were also knowledgeable experienced divers, After raiding the surplus yards we managed to create 5 workable guns.

We perfected the guns and practiced in the base pool but soon became bored. It was Kit who read about the spearfishing meet in Skin Diver Magazine and suggested we all zoom to Guayamas for real spear fishing .in salt water.

So away we went to San Carlos bay some where near Guaymas , It took some time but we managed to locate the entrance to San Carlos which was identified by a very small business card size sign with an arrow pointing west down two dusty tracks heading towards the ocean. We passed a few Mexican homes and finally arrived at the pristine bay which was totally devoid of people and civilized comforts .

We dove and dove- spearing fish and collecting sea shells. All too soon the weekend was over... Duty called and we reluctantly returned to Luke AFB .

After separation from the AF I returned often several times a year, First with diving buddies, then my wife and finally my growing family, Each time I returned the area was becoming more civilized -- roads were improved, trailers were moving in on a permanent basis, The final blow was the establishment of the San Carlos Yacht and Fishing club.

I did have a certain amount of revenge-- the yacht club sponsored a Pargo (a fish) tournament - the largest was something around 15 pounds -- I speared a 38 pound Pargo setting the Pargo record.

Ans that's the was it was ...a long time ago -- and you are gasping for air that some one speared a fish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would strongly urge that you make contact with Del Mar dive shop in Mesa Arizona (1-408 - 833 2971) and have a chat with the owner.Gene If possible even visit the shop-- it is a long established shop in which Gene maintains a world class dive museum -- it alone is worth the trip from over the mountains of Virginia

(He also displays high up on the wall a rare gold plated JBL prestation spear gun along with my 30 year old article "The man with the golden gun"

Memories !

Sam Miller, 111
@JohnnyC
@Cali_diver
@diversteve

@Stu

Very interesting posts

Over the years I have had a certain amount of vested interest in San Carlos bay-- a lot of changes have transformed since it was thrust into the recreational diving spot light in 1955- good gosh 64 years ago.

Fascinating history, Sam. Thank you for sharing. No gasping, here. I had a good chuckle at you obliterating their Pargo record. Good show, old chap! Ha ha! I enjoy shooting (and eating) Bambi's dad every now and then, but the only shooting I want to do at fish is with my camera. I am hoping I'll get some nice photos out of this trip. At the least, it should be good practice for me.

I did have an email back from El Mar. All their tech support is at their shop in AZ. So, definitely no CCR diving for me in San Carlos. And, unfortunately, my travel itinerary means I won't have any time in AZ during the day, I don't think. I arrive late at night and leave to head south first thing the next morning. My return is pretty much the same. But, if the schedule ends up permitting, I will definitely insert a detour to the shop/museum. That sounds very cool.

El Mar, for anyone else that’s interested. Not Del Mar. :wink:

And you’d have to drive 2 hours north of Tucson to get there. El Mar is in Mesa, essentially a suburb of Phoenix.

If you’re staying close to the airport in Tucson, your best bet is to hit up In’N’Out burger. Short drive, and it’s In’N’Out, so.....yeah.

Right. Sorry. :)

Or, is there a Del Mar and an El Mar dive shop? Google only seems to know about El Mar, so I'm going with Sam's post was a typo. And I followed him. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom