San Carlos Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
It's a lot easier now, Craig. No more sticker, no more stopping on the way back. I haven't been since March, but if I remember right - stop at the 21K with your paperwork, go to the same 1st building for the visa paperwork, and you're done. Every person in the vehicle should get a visa, although I've been told by some locals it's not necessary. I'd err on the safe side, especially if you're teaching down there.

No more vehicle reg down there, so no more going to the computer building for the sticker. If there's a step I'm missing, they'll tell you about it at the visa building, but I can't remember doing anything else in March. There are also no fees for under 7 days.

I have heard the process can change depending on their mood, as can anything in Mexico. I have more problems with our guys at the border than I do with the Mexicans at the check-points! Let me know if it goes any different for you. I'll be there in early October with family.

Thanks Rob,

I'll pass on an update on how things go when we get back.

Craig

Namabiru,
My wife and I dive this trip quite a bit. It's a good deal, although the caution about vehicles is accurate, that last mile or two before hitting the cove is rough. I wouldn't consider taking a regular car down that road, you won't make it.
The shower is a little primitive,and you must provide your own fresh water, but it works. There is a lot of good diving to be had there, and the Dive Shop has some great folks running the operation. Try to get there early enough Friday to set up camp on the south bay, which is to your left as you hit the beach. It's covered in small rocks that are clean, as compared to the north bay, which isn't sand so much as dirt, and even a small breeze can make life dusty and unpleasant.

AZ_Zoner:
A few of us are heading down to San Carlos next week and have heard there have been a few changes to the 21K check point as far as vehicle visa and vistitor visa's. Anyone been there lately and have any updates on changes? Any new fees if your staying under 5 days?

Thanks for any info

Craig

Dive-aholic is correct. I was just down last weekend. No car registration and no sticker to return on the way back. Everything else was pretty much the same.

I'll post a dive report soon.

Just returned from San Carlos yesterday. We did some great dives! Water temp ranged from 86-89 degrees and visibility ranged from 30'-60'+. The sea lions were really playful this past trip. For more detailed dive reports check out my San Carlos page. We also drove through Kino Bay to check out things there for a possible future trip. No dive shops locally. We did find a shop that arranges guided dives out of Kino Bay. I'll be contacting them soon to get more details. We also found a possible shore access site. Next time we're down that way we'll dive it. If you go to the Dive Sites page and scroll down to Sea of Cortez, you'll see a link for Bahia Kino there. I haven't had a chance to review and upload photos yet, but they should be coming sometime over the next week. For information on travelling into Mexico, check out our new Mexico page. I've added information on the drive and tips on driving in Mexico. If anyone who has driven into Mexico can think of anything I've missed, let me know and I'll add it.

BTW, this was a solo trip for us. No shop. We made all the arrangements ourselves. We booked a nice, reasonable hotel and dove with a relatively new shop down there. I have to say it's the best trip we've had to Mexico. It was very nice. This is the way we plan on doing this from now on. In fact, we're thinking about organizing some trips down ourselves, possibly with an extra day for a detour to Kino Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom