San Carlos DM Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Buzo Loco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just got back from a week in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. A buddy and I are working on our divemaster rating from the newest shop in the area...Surface Time. I frequently dive in San Carlos and wanted to share my experience(s) if you have plans to visit and dive the area.

Rate the diving: Good to Above Average

Sergio and Vickie (Surface Time instructors) took us to a couple of new to me dive sites. The first was Deer Island (sorry I don't know the name in Spanish). On the first dive my buddy, Josie from Papua, New Guinea, found the largest seahorse I've seen in the Sea of Cortez.

Over the next two days we found there had been a population explosion of octopus and scorpion fish. No pelagics were sighted, but a variety of eels, fish and small stuff.

Rate the shop / instructors: Excellent

The Surface Time shop was surprising compared to other shops in the San Carlos/Guymas area: It is clean, well stocked with retail and rental equipment, and it has an air conditioned classroom seating about 10 students. It had new Dell computers, flat panel screens (for CD-Rom classes), high-speed Internet connection. In my opinion, it sets a new standard for the area and is sure to be attractive to American divers.

The shop staff was enthusiastic, helpful in arranging lodging and even told us which restaurants to try.

The classroom work was thorough and our open water training was excellent.

Rate the dive boat: Excellent

I was very pleased with the Surface Time boat. The boat we were assigned was modern, fast and very comfortable. The captain "Pepe" was an interesting character who has spent his life driving dive and fishing boats...a nice guy!

Rate the town: Average

Nearly all the services (hotels/restaurants) in town are devoted to divers or fisherpersons. In the winter it is a haven for Canadian and U.S. retirees. English is widely understood and the businesses all accept US Dollars or pesos. The larger places accept credit cards.

I'm heading back for more divemaster training around Aug. 15 and again on Labor Day. Hope to see some of you there!!!!

I will be curious to see the underwater photos when they put those up to see what's there.

I have a framed print of a sunset photo I took in San Carlos in my home; it shocks me to think I took it 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom