San Carlos Beach Sea Lion Takeover!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I haven't seen it for myself in person, but according to some Facebook posts, apparently San Carlos Beach has been taken over by the sea lions and access is totally blocked. I've never heard of this happening before, so hopefully it's only temporary.

However, this got me thinking. What would happen to Northern California diving businesses if, for any reason, San Carlos Beach was no longer able to be used for diving classes? What about for diving tourism since most tourists dive there? It's a scary thought since that is THE spot for OW classes and those new to Monterey. Would they have to all go to boat diving? Is there another beach in the area that can accommodate the crowds, is as accessible, and is also beginner friendly (I don't think so)? Would everyone start diving Lake Tahoe?

Anyway, just wondering what people think. If access at San Carlos Beach is permanently blocked by the sea lions, I think it's going to mean some big changes for all of our local dive shops!

Edit: I wonder if so many divers avoided Monterey this week because of Carmageddon it opened the door for the takeover!

There isn’t anyplace that is as friendly for training, del monte could maybe take 15% of the load but I’m thinking/hoping that this is a short term situation.

Why not McAbee Beach? It seems like a pretty easy place for training - although if you stayed this side of the kelp, I guess it would be pretty shallow - and I guess its could get pretty crowded.
Its not as convenient as Breakwater - no shop right there and folks would need to park at the lot about a block away.

I guess we will need to see what the sea lions decide -- its their world, we're just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

mcabee is too small with not enough parking. same problem with lovers.

you possibly could see copper roof, mcabee, del monte, and lovers combined get used, but the amount of space would be far more limited than breakwater. it likely is just temporary due to the car show displacing the sea lions from their usual spot.

Pop over check out my local

090.JPG

Do de do de do do da da da

104.JPG

Bom bom bom da da da and suddenly the rock is moving

105.JPG

They recon about 40 of them live inside the rock

098.JPG

and then you step off the shelf into 14metres 46feet surrounded by crays and other creatures

Screenshot (1283).png

Sure can be scary if they come check you out, never seen anyone else solo, rarely see another diver

The beauty of life when a plan comes together

Lack of population is such a blessing

Good luck with your seals

Saw it on my Instagram feed - the big question in my head is a variation of “why did the chicken(s) cross the road” …
Does it increase the risk of GW sharks lounging in the area for sometime even after the population has moved on, posing a risk for divers…?

Same ocean, so yeah we had a snorkeling guy in his 30s taken a few miles up the coast three years ago
They say he was already dead having suffered a heart attack type incident floating and sharks took him

But not by great White Sharks

The seals give me more cause, than great whites, and I just hope they notice the seals are juicier, than I

and I have a shark shield still in the box

Saw it on my Instagram feed - the big question in my head is a variation of “why did the chicken(s) cross the road” …
Does it increase the risk of GW sharks lounging in the area for sometime even after the population has moved on, posing a risk for divers…?

The sea lion colony has always been at the Breakwater, its just that they generally lounged on the jetty & rocks, but for some unknown reason, they recently moved to the beach, cutting off access for divers and others. Quite inconsiderate of them.

Edit: I guess people are saying that there is a whole lot more of them now, than would be on the rocks before, so maybe something else besides a minor relocation is going on.

In hundreds of dives in Monterey/Carmel, I've never seen the landlord (saw a beautiful leopard shark once), although as I understand it, they may be around. More GWs are seen further north, around the pinniped colonies at An~o Nuevo and the Farallones.

Back
Top Bottom