Same reg for O2 and Nitrox above 50%?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wstern5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, Is it acceptable and does anyone use the same regulator for Nitrox mixes above 50% and O2 without having them cleaned? Thanks!

If your regulator is O2 clean, which means : specifically serviced when needed with O2 compatible lubricant and the required procedures and never used on air tanks, everything should be fine.

It's certainly acceptable to use the same regulator for 50% and 100%, but you should definitely have them O2 cleaned.
Thanks for the reply. To clarify- I meant switching between 50% and O2 without cleaning. Regs are O2 clean to start.

Yep, fine.

Perfectly fine, I use the same regs for all my deco, stage and bailout regs.

I recommend just keeping all your regs O2 clean and only using O2 clean fills. Just makes things simpler. Everything is interchangeable. If something breaks, you can just swap regs and continue with the dive.

I'm far from being an experienced diver, but I probably have some more experience with chemistry and gases. I feel the whole "O2 Clean" discussion is 80% trying to sell overpriced equipment to divers and manufacturers cushioning their profit margins, 20% facts and figures.

You'll be totally alright using the same regulator for O2 and EAN 50. You must indeed have some precautions handling and breathing oxygen, but oxygen is no hydrogen and no nitroglycerin either.

I don't understand this oxygen mystique in the diving world. I know there's wreckless people in every walk of life, and you can do silly things when handling oxygen, but still.

Probably the most dangerous part of diving in general and breathing oxygen in particular is how many dive shops mishandle their oxygen reserves, with many of them (SE Asia) storing their oxygen bottles in a warm, poorly ventilated compressor room. Probably for fear of someone stealing their bottles.

Should there be a leak in one of the bottles and a spark from the compressor electrics, it would make for instant fireworks and a few casualties. I try to stay as far away from those compressor rooms as I can. Same goes for oxygen storage in liveaboards in Asia. Accidents waiting to happen everywhere.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom