Same fin? or same manufacturer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERIC.K

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like a couple of manufactures are now producing the same type of fin, the old Dacor Tiger, Mares volo race, I think I saw Aeris with a new fin that has this pivoting design, saw them in the current Sport Diver anyone of them better or worse than the other....still hard to give up my Mares Avanti Quatros

Dacor and Mares are both owned by Head NV so some of their products (such as the Tiger/Volo fins) come from the same source. It's a similar situation with Aeris/Oceanic - same source, same base product, just different branding/cosmetic differences. Or a product offered by many brands/companies may come from the same OEM supplier/manufacturer located in a different country. For instance, Pelagic Pressure Systems (owned by Oceanic) makes (different looking but essentially very similar) dive computer for Sherwood, Beuchat, Seeman and others, as well as Aeris/Oceanic.

So its not that someone is stealing or copying, same manufacturer of the fin just different "labels"?

A way to save cost I guess. Though the dive industry has grown significantly, the investment for continuous development might not be justified for many players out there.

ERIC.K:
So its not that someone is stealing or copying, same manufacturer of the fin just different "labels"?

There are some blatant stealing/copying of designs, especially with masks - but yeah, I'd say mostly it's just selling of OEM products from a single source by many different brands or one manufacturer selling under many different brand names or some kind of agreement/alliance such as with some Scubapro and TUSA regs.

Back
Top Bottom